Campervan/motorhome or not

Options
2»

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For me the biggest problem with motorhomes is that if you want to pop out somewhere you have to pack everything up. I suppose if you are super tidy or you will not be wanting or needing to leave a site very often they could suit you.
  • Paula_Smith
    Options
    You could do worse than a Mazda Bongo - the only downside is that they are an import from Japan so some spare parts can be hard to get hold of and some garages wont look at imports.

VW Transporters are well supported and not too bad on depreciation.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please try a motorhome first. Have a shower, do the washing up, empty and fill the appropriate tanks.

Then try rushing the dog to the vet & examine the internal disruption after - if you are a compulsively tidy soul, there should be little other than sloshed water from the dog bowl.

If you are towards the Dig end of the spectrum there will be cooking equipment rolling on the floor amidst left out ingredients, fruit bruised at best & squished on things at worst & if you've clobbered something in your understandable hurry, you may need to get a tank sealed.

I'm firmly of the holiday in comfort school & did not succeed at that with a motorhome.
  • Supatramp
    Options
    As a caravanner of over 40 years, motorhomes are not for me. You have to put everything away before you can move a wheel, and as an owner of a large twin-axle caravan, I like my home comforts.

However, they are obviously very popular and come in various sizes, from the more basic van conversions to the coachbuilts. I would strongly recommend that you hire one first. Look around, decide what you'd think you'd prefer, van conversion versus coachbuilt, then hire one. It would obviously be new(ish) but it would give you an idea, and whether you'd really like it.

One thing to bear in mind, and has been mentioned previously, a van conversion would probably get you through most height barriers, a coachbuilt probably wouldn't.
    David.
  • The_Book-keeper
    Options
    A very useful, fun & informative site is
    https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk
    Lots of good information & help - can't recommend it enough!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income