savings account for children (money for when they're an adult

Options
My oldest daughter is 9. She has a Child Trust Fund but the interest rate is poor. Is there another account I could open to use instead that will be better?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Convert it to a junior ISA, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/junior-isa/ for further details....
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also recommend Junior ISA's, very highly.

We gave each of our 4 grandchildren a Junior ISA about 9 years ago, ages now 13 to 24. As each of the eldest reached 18, they were able to open a bank account with a decent sum to deposit. The 24 yo began work at 18 for a local IT company and it financed further studies. He is now No.2 to the boss with a very good salary, his own executive flat in a gated enclosure. Not bad for an Asperger's sufferer!

His 22 yo cousin is about to take up a banking post: she began as a chef, still has all the chef's equipment the account paid for. And is a marvellous cook, wish she would visit more often!

Her 20 yo brother has completed training as an Electrical Installer: The money we gave helped him study at a local college: he is severely dyslexic.

The 24 yo's sister is at Grammar school in the top 5 percentile, with nothing less than A's and A* results. First to attend grammar in the family, probably first to attend Uni. She will benefit more, having earned interest over a longer period.

One of those times when money brings blessings.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family