Sudden leap in electricity use, seemingly after power cut

Options

Comments

• BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    Fridge freezer could be causing the additional usage - maybe it has developed a fault and not running as it normally would.
    That's possible. After we left, we wondered if a break in power had caused it to switch on a quick freeze setting or something. Can't just check that until we next visit, which unfortunately, will be a couple of weeks now.
    If you're there for a day, take a meter reading, switch off the fridge/freezer for a few hours and take a reading again. Then switch the fridge back on and take another reading a few hours later. See how they compare.
    Not sure I can get to the power source for it at the moment to try that. We'll look at it after we've eliminated other sources. That particular appliance will be going soon as my sister is taking it as hers has died.
    As already suggested though, getting a plug in monitor, which tells you the electricity used by a specific appliance plugged in to it might help track down what uses the most electricity.
    Sorry, I forgot to address the suggestion earlier when it was made. That's something we'll look at if we can't identify the cause easily. I was hoping it was something stupid we just hadn't realised - I was hoping for a light bulb moment (low wattage, obviously). It's a little more tricky with only visiting every few days and not being resident. And also not being totally familiar with the property, as you are with your own.
    11kwh is what you might expect for a house occupied 24/7, so either the meter's lying or something is eating the juice.
    That's rather my point. In fact, when it was occupied, usage was averaged for the previous 14 months as 5.55 KWh per day. It's been around 3 KWh per day whilst it's been unoccupied, but with regular items on daily and visits from us.
    Not sure how local you are but if you can call in, read the meter, kill all breakers on the consumer unit and leave for several hours
    Not an option I'm afraid, as we aren't local, if I'm there at all, it's to work. And there's a lot to do. If we can't get to the bottom of it in a timely manner, we might have to try that, as something is clearly amiss.
    In an empty house, 11kwh must be generating heat, light or noise in significant amounts!!
    It's not an empty house. It's an unoccupied house, but we're operating it in a manner to make it look occupied. It's furnished, with lights on timers, the fridge freezer and another freezer working, telephone answering machine, broadband router etc. etc. Heat was my first thought - but the only thing that would gobble juice is a fan heater that wasn't plugged in and is now here as I'm borrowing as the place I'll be next week is cold. No oil filled radiators, no immersion heater.
    The daily rate you quote of about 3Kwh before the unexplained increase also seems high to me, given the figures you quote for the lights/appliances left on.
    It's the daily average - so when it's unoccupied, I'd expect it to be lower, but we will increase the average on the days we're in attendance, running cooking appliances, vacuums, power tools, extra lights etc. I'll have to do some before and after readings on the days we're there, to see how much we use, so I can extrapolate the use when we're not. I tend to read the meter as we leave and lock up.

No smart meter installed, my numbers are from the actual meter. It's a simple affair with a numerical digital readout, nothing flashing or spinning to indicate the rate of usage. Which would be useful, as you could boil a kettle or something to see if it increased the rate.

What else was raised - oh yes, the boiler is on - operated via a thermostat, as required under the unoccupied insurance policy endorsements. It's almost new, with a new thermostat and controller, but it appears to be running okay. The gas use has increased a little as it must be clicking on periodically. When I arrived on Friday morning, it was off, but the radiators whilst cold, weren't totally cold, it had clearly been on earlier that day.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As you suggest you need to read the meters when you arrive as well as when you leave so you can work out how much you are using when you are there and you'll also know how much is being used when you aren't.

If the boiler is running then there's a fan and pump i it so you really need to adjust the temperaturs so that it only comes on when the temperature is quite low (say 10 degrees). Make sure that it hasn't got an "instant hot water" feature which keeps a small amount of water hot all the time.

Why have you got the fridge and freezer running if no one is there, surely you'd be better off emptying them and turning them off. the same with the broadband router unless you've got a surveillance camera
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might be worth getting a cheap clip-on energy monitor, especially if it records total as well as instant usage, so that you can get an idea whether the meter is recording correctly. That might be more useful than a wild goose chase with each appliance, which might well show that they're all OK but you'd still have no positive evidence that the meter was faulty.

If the total usage recorded by the official meter and the energy monitor were significantly different then it would justify getting the meter tested, which might well lead to a significant rebate.

BTW, when putting the house on the market it would be worth pointing out that the meters are conventional: many potential buyers don't like smart meters, so it would be an easy plus point.
  • BooJewels
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    As you suggest you need to read the meters when you arrive as well as when you leave so you can work out how much you are using when you are there and you'll also know how much is being used when you aren't.
    Indeed. This hadn't been an issue before this week as usage had been reasonable, but I'll need to start doing that now.
    If the boiler is running then there's a fan and pump i it so you really need to adjust the temperaturs so that it only comes on when the temperature is quite low (say 10 degrees).
    Insurance requires it to be above 12 degrees, I have it at about 14 at the moment.
    Make sure that it hasn't got an "instant hot water" feature which keeps a small amount of water hot all the time.
    I don't think that it does, as water takes ages to come through warm, but I will check it.
    Why have you got the fridge and freezer running if no one is there, surely you'd be better off emptying them and turning them off. the same with the broadband router unless you've got a surveillance camera
    Router for the reason you suggest and fridge freezer as it saves us taking food every time we go - we tend to go early and have breakfast there - so I can keep butter and jam and a few loaves etc in the freezer. But as already mentioned, the fridge freezer is going as soon as we can organise transport to move it to my sister's flat as she's dibbed it (with the owner's consent obviously). I also like cold drinks and don't want to have to decide if I'm going to want mayonnaise in my lunch time butty before I set off from home early in the morning.

I really don't think it's a faulty meter, I'm not suggesting that, or trying to get out of paying for power used - nor even trying to get the power consumption down especially low - I was quite happy with about 18 quids worth a month - just not 50 quids worth when nothing has outwardly changed. The usage pattern has changed significantly in a way that we can't fathom and that's what I want to get to the bottom of. It's the sudden increase I don't like or understand.
    BTW, when putting the house on the market it would be worth pointing out that the meters are conventional: many potential buyers don't like smart meters, so it would be an easy plus point.
    Ha! I finally have a tick in the plus column for selling it, along with the new boiler. I was thinking in terms of building plot, so anything else is a bonus!
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there an outside power socket? Gardener making use of it to plug in his tumble dryer / pizza oven / kiln?

Houbara suggested that someone plug in an old fashioned one-bar electric fire the other day and time how long it takes the meter to register a unit which is a good approach. One of the few types of heater that doesn't have some sort of thermostat or other complication. (I'll suggest it because he can't as he's been PPR'd.)
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I know that you're seeking an explanation for the sudden increase in consumption, but just for info purposes: when we moved into our current house a couple of months ago, I realised we had a fridge and a freezer in the utility room, both empty and pointlessly keeping themselves cold. I switched them both off and weekly consumption dropped by 40kWh.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if either or both of the two cooling appliances you have running are more than a few years old, they may be the culprits of high consumption and giving them to your sister might give her an unexpected bill increase!

You can pick up clip-on type energy monitors on ebay for peanuts and that would give you a live reading of consumption. They're a bit crap at low wattages, but you seem to be looking for quite large figures so I think you'd be fine.

I'm assuming there's no long forgotten electric underfloor heating somewhere that has started to kick in since it got colder??
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you checked the loft, garage or any outbuildings? There might be heating tape wrapped around the pipes, a forgotten tubular heater or a fan heater with a frost setting. If there was a nasty voltage spike caused by lightning or whatever, the thermostat contacts might have stuck together. Or it may just have started to kick in because the overnight temperatures are now falling.

I have a De’Longhi 3kW fan heater whose frost setting seems to be ridiculously high: it would even come on overnight if left in an occupied bedroom. Admittedly it would switch itself off probably in less than a minute, but it would repeat the cycle several times per hour. I don't know to what temperature it would maintain an otherwise unheated house, but I wouldn't risk it as a backup if the CH pump failed or the programmer glitched when away on holiday: I fear it would run all night and most of the day !
  • BooJewels
    edited 20 October 2019 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Is there an outside power socket? Gardener making use of it to plug in his tumble dryer / pizza oven / kiln?
    No outside power socket and gardener uses a petrol mower.
    Houbara suggested that someone plug in an old fashioned one-bar electric fire the other day and time how long it takes the meter to register a unit which is a good approach. One of the few types of heater that doesn't have some sort of thermostat or other complication. (I'll suggest it because he can't as he's been PPR'd.)
    I saw that post and we had already thought of it too - but the meter uses whole units, no decimal places, so we'd have to watch it to see when it changed and then start the test - so not ideal, or probably very accurate.
    I guess what I'm getting at is that if either or both of the two cooling appliances you have running are more than a few years old, they may be the culprits of high consumption and giving them to your sister might give her an unexpected bill increase!
    Both appliances were in use long before I started looking at power consumption. The main in-kitchen fridge freezer is fairly new with a good energy rating, so unless it has switched itself into a quick freeze mode or something has gone wrong after the power cut, I see no reason why its consumption might suddenly increase. I have a lot of things to clear from a large, cluttered and untidy house and the freezer contents just haven't yet featured on my radar, although some old stuff went to make room for fresher items for us. The second back porch freezer will have to stay as it is as part of the roof has recently collapsed and I can't easily get to it. If I start moving about too much, the entire structure is likely to come to earth - it's one stiff breeze from collapse.
    I'm assuming there's no long forgotten electric underfloor heating somewhere that has started to kick in since it got colder??
    Nope, pretty sure not. Although there's one room that I personally haven't been in and I've asked my sister next time she visits to check there isn't a thermostatically controlled heater in there we don't know about, that's suddenly fired up. She and my husband have both been in there recently and say not, but we checked everything else, so we'll double check.

I'll look at monitors before I next visit, I can't do much just now as I'm going away.
    Have you checked the loft, garage or any outbuildings? There might be heating tape wrapped around the pipes, a forgotten tubular heater or a fan heater with a frost setting. If there was a nasty voltage spike caused by lightning or whatever, the thermostat contacts might have stuck together. Or it may just have started to kick in because the overnight temperatures are now falling.
    Checked the garage, everything in there was unplugged about 10 days ago when we sold some of the contents and the fan heater there never was plugged in and I have it here at the moment. If there are any such heaters, none of us know about them and the property owner probably won't be much help - there are several more important things he doesn't know where they are, so I don't hold out much hope finding this stuff out. We'll do a better check next visit in daylight, it was getting late as we found this out as I did my lock up reading.

ETA:
    The loft has been sealed for about 50 years, we had a job opening the hatch (another insurance condition) - so I doubt there's anything modern at all up there, let alone heating. The hole into it is considerably smaller than a 21st century 'well nourished' bottom, so if there are any treasures, they're staying up there.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would echo the advice to get a cheap clamp-on energy monitor and monitor real time consumption as you switch on/off appliances. Ignore the comment about inaccuracy. The one I have is inaccurate when measuring low consumption, i.e. less than ~100W but above that will resolve to 10W accuracy. You are trying to detect 8kW/day which will be at least 330W/hour if something is permanently on, so it will do the job.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    BooJewels wrote: »
    ... the meter uses whole units, no decimal places, so we'd have to watch it to see when it changed and then start the test - so not ideal, or probably very accurate.

It would be accurate enough to diagnose a gross metering error. Yes it might take up to two hours, but if you're there all day?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure