Top Top Top Bargain - all free!

Options
This board is the site's most popular.  And i know many people come here direct bypassing the main site.

A few very important facts about this site

MoneySavingExpert.com is completely free, you're never charged.  It has no advertising. It is all about stopping companies screwing us and working out how to legally screw them back.

This means this site is a top bargain

If you enjoy using the site then it needs your (no cost) help

If you like the site please join the free weekly money tips e-mail

The site has a weekly money tips e-mail detailing all the latest and urgent ways to save.  It is of course free and ad free too - to start receiveing it, please go to

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips

Also do note joinging the tips is separate to registering to use the Chat Forum.

Why is joining the money tips helpful to the site

From the perspective of the site (and me), getting people to join up is really important as it means I can contact you when there's an urgent way to save.  Also in truth it means retaining traffic which is really useful. Plus while this site is non-profit driven  (see here for a full explanation), it does have some extremely clean and ethical revenue raising features, which are on the main site. It is these which pay for the technology and servers to keep the Chat Forum running.

So if you're enjoying your time using the site and want to help, please do sign up for the weekly money tips and ask your friends to join it as well.

If you'd like to know more about the site go to About the site

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Best site on the web Martin! Saved me loads already, and may it continue to do so! :)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• nursemolly
    nursemolly Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brilliant site, spend most of my web time on here checking out bargains and chasing them........
  • sward2202
    Options
    Excellent site saved me loads on my bills, loans, credit cards. And the thing with the orange contract renewals worked superbly. Keep up the fantastic !! ;D
    I Have to save more!
  • misters_2
    Options
    Luv the site, and reading other peoples successes, but I'm still a little scared on trying new ways, like changing banks/telephone companies/gas/electricty/etc.

I just seem stick to freebies.
    :cool: :cool: misters :cool: :cool:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Misters, start with one utility and you will be so pleased with your saving you can then work your way through them!

Probably the easiest is your Telephone, perhaps you are on contract and could move to PAYG or move to a new carrier for your landline calls, anyone is cheaper than BT.

Have a read at the specific board on the utility you want to change and you will find loads of help there.

Good luck
  • misters_2
    Options
    Thanx edinburghlass I wish i had your confidence, I dont have a mobile think if you dont have one then you save right away, yes i am with bt but i find paying with there payment card each week at my post office more convenient, and I dont think any other company offer this payment method.

As for gas/electricty i just dont know who is cheapest british gas or scottish power.
    :cool: :cool: misters :cool: :cool:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Tricky one there Misters because I could help on telephones but not too sure on gas and electric. I take it when you say British Gas or Scottish Power that you live in Scotland although Scottish Power seems to be a favourite in England now. Personally I am stuck with them due for some reason to the meters I have for white meter heating and no town gas unless each house tips up £6,000 each to get it in!!

I know my natural reaction is to hit the chat forums first but why not have a read at Martin's articles on gas and electric then put your toe in the water by asking a question on that board as to which is cheapest? Someone there will for sure know the answer!

Another thing is, have you read Martin's book? Loads of good advice there and in fact I think he suggests that you start small and work up!

Martin is looking into a buddy system for people with limited vision, you know it would be a good idea for this across the boards to help people make that first step?

If it gives you the confidence to start I am quite happy to be your buddy! And Sparky have you signed for 18866 yet? ;D ;D
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quite right EL.

And one other thing to point out. While much of the chat forum contains fantastic and rich info, it can be written by anyone so there is a level of wariness.

When it comes to the articles, every word is written by me personally, and telling people the best way to save money is my job, my passion and what i get paid for.

Each article is based on large amounts of research. So to get your confidence going - why not go through a few of the articles. Gas & electricity is very easy - just try it and see first of all.

And if you join the email you'll see more tips each week

enjoy folks

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • rangers_fc
    Options
    Hi Martin
    Its great site you have going here just wish I had time for other pastimes lol ;D been a member for about a month and made some really good buys and learnt a lot along the way, I may have spent more than I would usually on goods but hay whats life for if its not for enjoying.I just cant stop visiting this site is this money saving thing a addictive pastime or what. Anyway thanks for the quality info
    ;D
  • sylwright
    Options
    This site is definitely addictive. Only discovered it after seeing Martin on This Morning quite a while back now.

So far have saved loads of money on my phone bills (mobile and landline), home insurance, car insurance, banking........so many things I can't even remember them all.

Before I consider buying almost anything I have to check it out first on MSE.

I spend so much time on the internet, mostly on this site, that my husband thinks I have an internet lover!

Keep up the good work Martin :):):)
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family