PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fish pie

Options
Had a fairly old relative over for supper last night so did an old fashioned fish pie. It was delicious. Unfortunately a good part of the deliciousness was the good quality fish which isn’t cheap.

My relative lives mostly alone but likes cooking and is a good cook. Having always placed a great emphasis on good food I’d like to think they’d make this fish pie. Unfortunately being of a certain age they’d take 1 look at fresh fish prices and just never make it.

SO, question is.... is there a similar non-meat/heavy pie recipe that didn’t use fish? Yes know that there are cheaper bits of fish but they tend to be poor quality and frozen fish seem to be 25% water.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How about mushrooms and butternut squash? Granted, its never going to taste like fish, but its a great deal more affordable.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I buy the odd sell off fish/salmon/prawns/ over a priod of time and 'save it up' then make fish pies and freeze some and eat one
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had a fairly old relative over for supper last night so did an old fashioned fish pie. It was delicious. Unfortunately a good part of the deliciousness was the good quality fish which isn’t cheap.

My relative lives mostly alone but likes cooking and is a good cook. Having always placed a great emphasis on good food I’d like to think they’d make this fish pie. Unfortunately being of a certain age they’d take 1 look at fresh fish prices and just never make it.

SO, question is.... is there a similar non-meat/heavy pie recipe that didn’t use fish? Yes know that there are cheaper bits of fish but they tend to be poor quality and frozen fish seem to be 25% water.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

I find that A - you don't need a lot of fish per person and B - working on getting the sauce and potatoes as smooth and luxurious as possible makes a big difference

For me fish pie is pure comfort food and for someone who hates mashed potatoes with a vengeance , I love it :)

I use a mix of fish, white fish that has been locally caught and gifted, mixed with frozen fish pie mix or reduced bits and pieces that I tuck away till I have a good selection
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I buy frozen fish from Iceland.
    They do a really good cod loin, slightly smoked salmon (which I prefer to Waitrose fresh) and premium smoked haddock. I would advise you thaw it first if you are cooking the fish in the sauce. As opposed to poaching the fish first, before you assemble the pie.

Try it and see if there is that much difference?

Not using fish?

And what to replace the fish with? Do you mean still have the white/cheese sauce and mash on top? If yes then a combination of vegetables or chicken?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd go frozen and let it defrost before cooking.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Options
    I find butter pies to be like fish pie without the fish. Its hard to get cheaper than potato.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may be doing your relative a disservice by substituting out the fish. Oily fish provides nutrients that no other foods are rich in - long chain omega-3s/ vitamin D - and that many Brits are deficient in.

Much supposedly 'fresh' fish is flash frozen and defrosted before it ends up on the fishmonger's counter. Lidl and Aldi do reasonably priced mixed fish for pies.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi do reasonably priced mixed fish for pies.

Aldi, £3 for a mixed pack, in the chiller. Loads in it, about 15 chunks of mixed cod, smoked haddock and salmon. I made it into two fish pies, each of which served two portions. I didn't skimp on the fish in the filling either, it could've been stretched easily enough.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’ve tried a fish pie mix before, tesco’s I think, but the balance of flavours wasn’t right - far too much fish ‘smoked’ with smoking solution.

Are Aldi’s better?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I’ve tried a fish pie mix before, tesco’s I think, but the balance of flavours wasn’t right - far too much fish ‘smoked’ with smoking solution.

Are Aldi’s better?

I find the same as you, the balance isn't quite right, which is why I do a kinda pick and mix of the packs, frozen and what Ive got in the freezer, including tiger prawn, lobster tail, crayfish etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure