With Profits Bond

Options
My IFA has suggested investing in the Prudential With Profits Bond (the money will be invested for around 10 years). We have ISAs and other savings elsewhere.

With profits bonds have had a bad press recently. What do you guys think?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Prudential with profits fund is only one of two that i still feel happy using.

As with most bad press, there are some truths and some myths. The product relies heavily on the financial strength of the company. When the financial strength is weak, the with profits fund is hit. Prudential and Norwich Union are the two companies that have the strength to maintain decent with profits funds.

I have done quite a few Pru WP bonds over the last 18 months and all of them are very healthy. The 12 month statements just gone out are showing 5.1% net return. When you add in the 104% allocation that you will be getting from your IFA, that makes a first year return of 9.1% which is very nice.

Pru have a annual withdrawal allowance and after 5 years, you can draw out £25,000 a year with no concerns of a market value reduction.

The Norwich Union WP bond is slightly lower risk as they have a capital guarantee on 10th anniversary. You can withdraw your full investment on year 10 and have no market value reduction applied regardless of the state of the fund. If purchased before christmas they have an offer that the guarantee applies on the 5th anniversary as well (although that may be a limited offer not available to all IFAs).

Norwich Union is likely to perfrom a little lower than Pru but if you want more guarantees that is the price you pay.

Pru have just launched the Prufund which is an alternative smoothed return product to the with profits fund and with a different charging structure. It is unlikely to return much different to the Pru WP fund at the end of the day as the current rate of return is identical. However, the small differences may appeal to you (or not).

As long as you stick with Pru and NU, you should be fine with WP. I wouldnt go with anyone else (L&G have the financial strength to handle WP but they dont seem very committed to it so i wouldnt place any new business with their WP fund).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks DD for your very comprehensive reply - I will check which bond my IFA is recommending.

Lolly
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I made an ommission on my post which should have been there and would make more sense on my comment about the NU bond being slightly lower risk and offering more guarantees. That is that the £25,000 MVA allowance by Pru is not a contractural agreement. Pru can alter that at a later date if they desire.

So, it's more of a promise subject to conditions at the time. This is not an issue with the newer prufund version.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks DD

In your original reply you said we would get an allocation of 104% - our IFA said it would be 102.5% plus a percentage of their initial commission.

Does this equate to the same thing?

Lolly
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Thanks DD

In your original reply you said we would get an allocation of 104% - our IFA said it would be 102.5% plus a percentage of their initial commission.  

Does this equate to the same thing?

Lolly

Yes it is the same thing.   I guess he isnt as generous as me.    :P ::)   Although to be fair, it depends on the amount being invested.  Pru give an increasing amount of allocation the more you invest.  If you then include a bit of commission gifting, it then brings it up. Last Pru one i did got 106% on 100k invested.
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    If you've decided on Prudential, why go through an IFA? Go through a broker and you can get nearly all the commission rebated. I use Chartwell Direct. On our Prudential WPBs, they rebated between 5 - 6% of the investment back.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    If you've decided on Prudential, why go through an IFA? Go through a broker and you can get nearly all the commission rebated. I use Chartwell Direct. On our Prudential WPBs, they rebated between 5 - 6% of the investment back.

No protection against bad advice should it all go tits up would be one reason.
  • Doads
    Options

Who will advise on the continuing suitability of the investment? Who will comment on changes in contract terms and bonus rates? Who pays for the free advice you get if you seek professional advice and decide to go to a discount broker with that advice?

WPBs are commonly used by IFAs as a lazy way to achieve a decent spread of assets. They are by no means a panacea, and you ought to check the charging structure imposed against any research you conduct yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure