Options

Comments

• chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    I went to Bristol probate office.

This was a while back ? I've been told that it was flooded a year ago and is still out of action.

I had to use the Cardiff office and although they only took the few weeks that others report, they found fault with the will and I had to get that sorted with the will-writing solicitor and another 6 weeks passed. Interest on the IHT...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chiny wrote: »
    This was a while back ? I've been told that it was flooded a year ago and is still out of action.
    DH says it has now re-opened (although I can't find confirmation of that online).
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone experienced applying for Probate where the property is subject to mortgage/equity release?

Wondering if anything like that can affect the timeline for application ie does the mortgage company have to approve/supply information prior to application?
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced applying for Probate where the property is subject to mortgage/equity release?

Wondering if anything like that can affect the timeline for application ie does the mortgage company have to approve/supply information prior to application?

Mortgage with Tesco on a property we had to sell 2 1/2 years ago. Tesco just said they'd freeze the interest & mortgage payments & let them know when LoA was granted (DiY, no solicitor for that except for swearing the oath).

Nothing was required from Tesco as far as LoA was concerned, though we also put the house on the market as "subject to probate" so there was a little bit of communication between Tesco & the house sale solicitor regarding that.

Timeline was:
    28 Feb 2016 - LoA application hand delivered to Oxford probate office.
    16 March - House put on the market
    14 April - LoA arrived dated 13 April.
    17 May - Contracts exchanged
    20 May - Completion

I thought 6 weeks for LoA wasn't unreasonable. Similar timescale this year with FiL, home owned outright, so doesn't seem to make a difference.

Maybe timescales are worse during summer holidays when staff are away, or winter when maybe there are more deaths?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Marosol
    Marosol Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone dealt with Birmingham Probate Registry recently? How backlogged are they? Are they ok in general or is there something to be aware of?
    Any information will be most appreciated x
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Marosol wrote: »
    Has anyone dealt with Birmingham Probate Registry recently? How backlogged are they? Are they ok in general or is there something to be aware of?
    Any information will be most appreciated x
    How long is a piece of string? Utterly frustrating though it may be the time taken is simply a lottery. What others have experienced is no guide whatsoever to future performance. A completely pointless thread! Sorry but that is the bottom line.
  • Marosol
    Marosol Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick update-
    Sent application on 31/07 and today (10/08) we received an oath to swear, so 8 working days so far.
    Fingers crossed it won’t take too long from the moment they receive an oath to send us the grant
  • jalvpa
    Options
    From oath to receiving the grant was 5 weeks for us, would have been shorter if TSB had paid the IHT when first asked!!!!
  • kazziecon
    Options
    Completed forms online, printed and hand delivered to Winchester Probate Office on Wednesday 29 August 2018 with relevant paperwork and cheque.
    Received letter regarding oath so OH (as executor) went to WPO to swear oath for free on Wednesday 12 September.
    Grant of Representation received on Wednesday 19 September
    And a solicitor told us it would take at least 4 months!!!
    Just goes to show it is cheaper and quicker to DIY!!
  • HUMBUG
    HUMBUG Posts: 347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sent all my completed forms to London Probate Office Holborn on the 28th March 2019 (by special delivery which was signed for ).

They banked my enclosed cheque within a few days.

Not received any response to date so sent an email requesting a status update.

After having googled reviews about this probate office , I am quite concerned on the poor ratings (rude staff, telephone calls being left unanswered , etc). Hope I don't have to raise a formal complaint via Resolver just to get a status update.

I thought the turnaround times would be about 10 days but I am obviously wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure