Where to start/which option!!

Options
Can somebody give me any advice on savings in general.

I am 32 and my wife of 27 have just got married and are about to start a family.

We had a chat the other night about our investments/pension, etc..

At the moment we have no investments/isas/pension and thought it was time to pull our finger out.

Trouble is "WE DONT KNOW WHERE TO START", there are so many options available.

Any advice would be grateful.

Many thanks
PAUL
;)

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you really dont have a clue, then its probably a good idea to seek independent financial advice.

Its all very well trying to do it yourself but it helps when you know the basics.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

A good place to start is the Motley Fool; here's a link to the site map -

http://www.fool.co.uk/help/sitemap.htm

Go to the Fool School Articles section ( first in the Personal Finance box ) and start reading! If you have any questions there are two boards for newbies, Ask a Foolish Question

http://boards.fool.co.uk/messages.asp?mid=8950495&bid=50000

And Absolute Beginners-Investing

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?mid=8927808&bid=50014

I have to disagree with the advice to see an IFA; in my experience there are many more bad ones than good and unless you know something about the subject you won't be able to tell them apart.

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I have to disagree with the advice to see an IFA; in my experience there are many more bad ones than good

I guess you apply that to there being more bad teachers than good, more bad policeman than good, more bad doctors than good?

There are about 30,000 advisors in the UK. I guess you must have had a busy time seeing the majority of them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cheerfulcat
    Options

I guess you apply that to there being more bad teachers than good, more bad policeman than good, more bad doctors than good?

There are about 30,000 advisors in the UK.  I guess you must have had a busy time seeing the majority of them.

Well yes, as a matter of fact, I would say that there are more people who are bad at their jobs than are good. I wonder why you only quoted part of what I said, leaving out the bit about telling them apart...

As to my experience, I have had occasion for one reason and another to see 12 ( yes, twelve ) IFAs over the last ten years and the overall impression I have is that they are more interested in making money for themselves than in advising what's best for the investor. Not one of them has recommended an investment which didn't pay commission. They were all dismissive of the possibility that I might invest the money myself directly in shares and other assets ( which I have done, with a return of an average 20% pa; not a boast, as I know that this, and much more,is possible for anyone prepared to do some research ).

The standard IFA response at this point is to say " go to a fee-based advisor ". Well, I tried that and they actively tried to discourage me, saying that they would have to charge VAT and that it would be horribly expensive, never mentioning the corrosive effect of charges on one's investment in a
    " product "...the IFA connected to a huge international firm of accountants went so far as to charge me ( when I didn't like his advice and turned down his recommendations ) not his hourly rate ( £150 an hour is the going rate, folks; worth doing some research, isn't it?) but the commission his firm would have received; so instead of £300 he wanted £2500.

There's no need to take a snidey tone, by the way, and it just confirms what I think about IFAs; they are far too arrogant. Most people would be able to handle their own finances perfectly well if properly educated and it doesn't take that much of an effort to educate oneself.

Regards

Cheerfulcat
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    At the moment we have no investments/isas/pension and thought it was time to pull our finger out.

Trouble is "WE DONT KNOW WHERE TO START", there are so many options available.

Hi Paul

Start with the very basics. Do a little reading about personal finance - there's lots of info/advice out there, on the web, books in the public library.

My advice (not an expert, just someone who's been around a while):

The basics: you're newly-married, about to start a family. The very, very basic is to get yourselves some life assurance. That really is the bottom line.

Then look at Martin's idea of a 'money fountain'. You can both have an ISA, choose a good one and save in that, anything over the amount you get tax relief on and save in e.g. National Savings certificates. BTW, my ISA is with the Yorkshire BS, 5.20% interest rate. Look for good interest rates, over 5%. A good basic no-frills savings a/c is ING Direct, but you don't get the tax relief on that which you do with an ISA.

You need savings for the short-term, mid-term and long-term. The long-term is your retirement.

There's an awful lot of good advice about. Look at some of the other threads on Martin's site, the one headed 'Pensions' for instance. But basically, you need some short-term savings for the everyday things - household appliances need replacing, unexpected events like redundancy. Mid-term is e.g. saving for a deposit to buy a house.

HTH!

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    There's no need to take a snidey tone, by the way, and it just confirms what I think about IFAs; they are far too arrogant. Most people would be able to handle their own finances perfectly well if properly educated and it doesn't take that much of an effort to educate oneself.

Oh dear, someone got out the bed the wrong side this morning.
    The standard IFA response at this point is to say " go to a fee-based advisor ". Well, I tried that and they actively tried to discourage me, saying that they would have to charge VAT and that it would be horribly expensive, never mentioning the corrosive effect of charges on one's investment in a
    " product "...the IFA connected to a huge international firm of accountants went so far as to charge me ( when I didn't like his advice and turned down his recommendations ) not his hourly rate ( £150 an hour is the going rate, folks; worth doing some research, isn't it?) but the commission his firm would have received; so instead of £300 he wanted £2500.

Perhaps you are trying to deal with IFAs that dont really want to deal with you. IFAs that deal with the top end of the market will usually price themselves out of the lower/middle end as they dont see a profit in that area. This can make low value transactions appear expensive on fee basis. If someone is willing to pay, then that is their choice.
  • cheerfulcat
    Options
    DD, you say "  IFAs that deal with the top end of the market will usually price themselves out of the lower/middle end as they dont see a profit in that area.   This can make low value transactions appear expensive on fee basis.   If someone is willing to pay, then that is their choice. "

I think that you are misunderstanding me. I had a sum of money to invest. I requested advice for which I offered to pay .  The IFA spent roughly two hours putting together a short list of funds. I didn't like any of them and decided not to invest. Rather than charge me for two hours' work ( £300 ) he attempted to make me pay the equivalent of the commission - £2500 - which he would have got had I invested in those funds . You will be able to work out from this figure that we are not talking about a small amount to be invested. In fact it is becausethere is a large amount involved that the IFAs are eager to get their paws on the commission...I'm sure that there are decent, honest IFAs like yourself out there ; it's just finding one...I'm afraid that I will stick to my original assertion that if you don't have a clue about money matters then the last thing you should do is see an IFA as you will have no way of judging his or her advice.

Cheerfulcat
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I think that you are wilfully misunderstanding me. I had a sum of money to invest. I requested advice for which I offered to pay . The IFA spent roughly two hours putting together a short list of funds. I didn't like any of them and decided not to invest. Rather than charge me for two hours' work ( £300 ) he attempted to make me pay the equivalent of the commission - £2500 - which he would have got had I invested in those funds

Thanks for the clarification. £300, fair enough. £2500? thats just stupid and he would never have got away with that. The software i use has a timer built in to it which is updated as I do various tasks. Many IFAs are moving to this type of software. The advantage is that you provide a timed breakdown of work done which is then costed accordingly.

There are some damned stupid IFAs out there but you should be able to spot them a mile away. At a recent seminar i went to, an IFA was complaining as all the documentation and information for the products being discussed required access to a computer and this IFA didnt use computers and still worked on the old 3 quotes minimum standard. While you have old fools like that still around, I guess your views are going to remain.

I tend to be quite negative towards tied advisors. Expensive products, poor service and limited range of areas to advise on. However, with all the closures of the tied sales forces, it has become noticeable that clients who used to deal with the "insurance man" are not doing the pensions or life cover anywhere near the level that they used to. Some people needed that push to do something. The products may not have been the best on the market but at least they got people doing something.

pauliepie says he is 32 and hasnt got any savings or pension. Would that have happened had the old insurance man been calling on the families like they did in the past?
  • cheerfulcat
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification.  £300, fair enough.  £2500?  thats just stupid and he would never have got away with that.

He did get away with it, unfortunately. It was the firm's standard practice. I managed to negotiate it down to £1000 but that incident has left a very bad taste :-(  
    There are some damned stupid IFAs out there but you should be able to spot them a mile away.   At a recent seminar i went to, an IFA was complaining as all the documentation and information for the products being discussed required access to a computer and this IFA didnt use computers

:-))

However, with all the closures of the tied sales forces, it has become noticeable that clients who used to deal with the "insurance man" are not doing the pensions or life cover anywhere near the level that they used to.  Some people needed that push to do something.   The products may not have been the best on the market but at least they got people doing something.pauliepie says he is 32 and hasnt got any savings or pension. Would that have happened had the old insurance man been calling on the families like they did in the past?

Yes, I agree. Many people do need encouragement to save; I suppose that I make the assumption that someone who posts either here or on TMF has already come to the right conclusion! But you're quite right; if there were still doorstep collections of premiums I'm sure many more people would have some sort of savings plan.

Regards

Cheerfulcat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family