Accounts and beneficiary sign-off

Options
Hi all,

I have finally closed the executor account for my late mother as all the money has been received. Any money was to be split between my brother and I, there were no other beneficiaries. I have done this, he needed money shortly after probate was granted so had it at that time. My brother has mental health problems and has been abusive by text and phone since mum died and accused me of short-changing him, however the accounts are very clear and he has had all the money he is due. I sent him two copies and asked him to sign and return a copy. I didn't think he would and he hasn't. He received them (signed for) at the end of May since when I have heard nothing. Should I ask him again to return a copy or just leave it as I have proof he signed for them? Does he have to sign the accounts? I have never done this before so am not sure if there is a next step please?

Comments

• nom_de_plume
    Options
    My thoughts are that you've done enough.

If the accounts are honest and accurate then you have nothing to worry about if he want to take things further.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    suspect him having received the accounts is enough - and you have proof that he has got them. Asking again for him to return them is likely to induce grumblings I suspect.
  • Boleyn19
    Boleyn19 Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ia m in the process of probate for the estates of two relatives. How did you do the accounts?
  • LinBWales
    LinBWales Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It was not too difficult with mum's estate and will. I kept a note of any costs I incurred in being the executor (fuel and parking). Then I kept a contemporaneous record of all expenditure, funeral and wake costs, estate agent and solicitor fees, outstanding bills (utilities and credit card and loan) that were paid once the money from her flat was received. The will left the money to be divided equally between us and he had anything that was in her flat when she died - all the furniture and belongings. There was quite a lot of online help - various solicitors' websites had some downloadable PDFs about administering an estate. So after all the estate was sorted I produced a simple 2 page summary of all the income and expenditure, plus what was in her account before she died, as well as some income after she died.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,765 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The accounts don't need to be signed, so you can safely leave things as they are.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As said signing is not necessary. Signing would not protect you against a later claim you had made an error anyway.
  • LinBWales
    LinBWales Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all who took the time to reply, much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure