Cashless Society

Options

Comments

• Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes when I spend money I wish to keep my anonymity.
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The wages comment was a general thing not specifically aimed at you. But if you wanted you could refuse all payment methods and choose to receive cash only. But you obviously realise that would significantly reduce your income so see the benefit of offering to receive payments electronically.

What on earth are you talking about? Choosing to receive cash only would not 'significantly reduce my income'.

The rest of your post makes you sound like a paranoid person!. You obviously don't understand what "cookies" are and by logging into this forum this very website has put one on your device.
    If you haven't already burned your computer after reading that sentence then you can actually set your browser to delete all cookies after each session, so if that's all your worried about then problem solved.

Indeed. I am becoming paranoid about appropriation of data by corporations, and yes, I do realise that by logging into this forum more than one cookie (not just 'one'), has instantly been put on my computer.

I do delete all cookies after each session, but as you must know, they reappear as soon as one starts using the computer.

No need for the rather silly comment about 'burning your computer'. I have as much right as you do to have an opinion. (In fact, I wouldn't have a computer at all if I didn't need it for work.) As I said, by all means carry on as you were, but don't expect everyone to agree with you, or be convinced by your 'arguments' and defence of the practices mentioned here.

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sapphire wrote: »
    What on earth are you talking about? Choosing to receive cash only would not 'significantly reduce my income'.

Ok then if that is true then why don't you insist on all payments in cash and refuse all cheques and payment by bank transfer ?
    Sapphire wrote: »
    Indeed. I am becoming paranoid about appropriation of data by corporations, and yes, I do realise that by logging into this forum more than one cookie (not just 'one'), has instantly been put on my computer.

I do delete all cookies after each session, but as you must know, they reappear as soon as one starts using the computer.

No need for the rather silly comment about 'burning your computer'. I have as much right as you do to have an opinion. (In fact, I wouldn't have a computer at all if I didn't need it for work.) As I said, by all means carry on as you were, but don't expect everyone to agree with you, or be convinced by your 'arguments' and defence of the practices mentioned here.

Deleted cookies don't re-appear, you only get new ones if you start using a web browser.
    You can also only get cookies from sites you visit and they don't randomly get sent to your computer.

Your free to have an opinion and I didn't say your wern't but my opinion is that you sound paranoid, which you agreed with me on. You do realise being paranoid means you have an unfounded feeling of persecution, which isn't a good thing.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think we will see things like pay and display machines (alot already have), vending machines and train tickets machines going over to card only. Saves someone having to fill them up with cash which is also safer
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I hate cash as I am severely dyscalculic- I can identify notes by colour but when it comes to checking my change- not a hope. On the rare occasions I have cash I usually end up with a purse full of coins as I struggle to count out the correct money. I had about twenty five quid the other week, I gave them to OH to count and he swapped me for notes but the vicious circle started again. I use Apple Pay or contactless for everything , I used to have a Chip and Sign but I had such problems with it that now I have a pattern I follow with my fingers which tells me my PIN. My life would be considerably easier if everywhere accepted contactless!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 12:55AM
    Options
    HMG might go broke if it can't issue cheques for current year tax rebates.

I can scarcely believe that in one phone call recently I triggered one rebate for last year that I could process online for electronic transfer, but was forced to await a cheque for the current year rebate they owed me. Both were similar four figure amounts.

Scandinavia has clearly adopted cards and mobile phone payments but until the recent pan-European directive, actively discriminated against credit cards. A walletful of cards is not the norm, nor is the need for multiple accounts with different banks. Funny that, eh? Maybe their banks don't have quite the same reputation for landing so many nasty surprises on customers quite so often?

Cash is still used by those that wish to use it - particularly those in their 70s and older who still count their cash each month into separate pots as a good discipline. Obviously every country has a black economy, and the UK's is probably a far greater phenomenon than most due to it being such a silly low wage economy. Paying your window cleaner by faster payments doesn't exactly support a black economy, now does it :p?
  • Skippy13
    Skippy13 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    I think we will see things like pay and display machines (alot already have), vending machines and train tickets machines going over to card only. Saves someone having to fill them up with cash which is also safer

Well they need to improve the pay and display machines, the ones in our car parks are awful. They accept cash or card but it's so much quicker to pay by cash.
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Funnily enough, I'm using cash more rather than less of late.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    peterbaker wrote: »
    Cash is still used by those that wish to use it - particularly those in their 70s and older who still count their cash each month into separate pots as a good discipline.

This 70 year old doesn't. He relishes contactless - I carry very little cash.

Is there anyone on this forum who counts into pots?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    peterbaker wrote: »
    HMG might go broke if it can't issue cheques for current year tax rebates.

Even the Treasury has to manage it's cashflow. ;)

Cheques have always been a good way to obtain credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure