22 Foxhole East

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely afternoon of film watching with your youngest :heartpuls. I do love the film Brave- when I first watched it it felt like the first film in ages I'd seen where a female character was gutsy and bold!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    There were three scones left this morning.
    I have had two Mothers' Day cards. Both a variation of, 'I love you because you feed me'. It is the thought that counts, even if not the sentiment behind the thought.

Looks like it is going to be a lovely sunny day already.

So a morning on the sofa with Andrew Marr and Robert Peston and a lovely coffee mainlining politics, a lovely bath, a roast for lunch and baking this afternoon with football and Agents of Shield. In between these lovely things will be the last loads of laundry washed and on the line, all the other laundry folded (yawn), two smallest to do their homework (tears) and dunking them all in the bath.
    I think there may be PE kits to find.

Fretting about the Buildings Insurance, apparently if you need a new roof then the house is not in good repair, will have to ring people up and ask them. Job for Monday, will try not to think about it until then......
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Evening All!

B&C Insurance all sorted. Went for the whistles and bells policy as it was £100 more expensive, but much much more cover and as we are doing big work this year, it might just pay for itself.

I was just putting a bakewell into the oven, when I heard the unmistakeable sound of feet hitting wheelie bin next door at the cannabis house. !!!!!!, I thought, then watched two men breaking in. Called the rozzers, who were totally useless, the Keystone Cops would have been more use. Anyway, the robbers were in the house for less than 5 minutes, came out clutching a black package and legged it. I assume it was the two 'gardeners' who had hidden a stash of something in the house, and came to retrieve it. Hopefully it is the last we will see of them, they came for what they wanted and left. Still no sign of the house owner though. He is in for a shock!

Little old lady in Northern Ireland is having problems with her carers, they keep cancelling her calls because she is a 25 minute drive from the main town, oops, sorry it is a city now, and the office does not seem to be very good at grouping calls which are near each other, or giving them to the carers who live nearby. Mind you, she is a total harridan. I will give it a week before expecting the phone call to say how ill she has been (she is making it up) and how weak she feels and how much good it will do her to be able to get up when she likes, and have long baths (she gets 15 minutes once a week) . It is all manipulation, and must be ignored or she only plays up even more. She takes to her bed at least once every visit with an imaginary illness where she couldn't possibly eat anything, but suddenly develops a healthy appetite when you suggest she stays in bed and only has liquids. Just call me Florence...

This month has been very hard, I paid the mortgage first, and felt like I have been playing catchup the whole month. It is Wednesday and I have £10 left until Friday payday. I have a house full of food, so no worries there, but I am hoping the petrol holds until Friday morning after dropping the kids at school. So keep your fingers crossed for me.

I got referred by the GP to a gym!! I thought they would just send me to Fatclub (weightwatchers) but they don't do that here. So in April I will go and be assessed and see how much I can lose in my 3 months unlimited gym and pool use for £60.
    So I had best get on with as many small jobs on the list before going away for Easter in anticipation of spending the mornings in the gym when the kids go back to school.

Booked the kids in for their dentists check ups (they are booking into June already!!)

Anyway, I am knackered after a very eventful night of midnight drain cleaning machines, a very tuneful drunk walking home, a 3am bathroom clean up after a child was too tired to aim, and after the burglars, every tiny noise woke me up, ready to fight.

Looking forward to April and all its challenges.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Feeling under the weather so I have only stripped two skirting boards this weekend. Cupboard inventory sorted and shopping list made.

One week to go until the 70's tour of Ireland. Dreading it.

There is no point painting when the kids are around, they just touch everything, even when told not to. So painting is reserved for Monday.
    Everything is put off until Monday really, as the bills go out on the 1st, but not if it is a weekend. So I am waiting for the bank to update the balance so I can make an overpayment.

Last month I tried the 'pay yourself first' method, and then tried to live on the rest, but an unexpectedly high garage bill, combined with kids needing new school shoes, combined with £120 for the kids' fares, meant I had to borrow money from the savings fund to make ends meet. But it does mean that there is nothing on the credit cards at all. And with a new car battery and brakes, the petrol seems to be going further. Bonus!

The mortgage is going to be (by my reckoning) £112,985.20 on Monday , minus the payment and my overpayment it will be roughly £112,250. So I want to try and make a bonus overpayment to bring it down to £111,999.99. Stupid I know, when you consider that there is another £180 interest before the next payment, so it is just going to pop back up over £111k, but these are the silly games I am playing inside my head. I dunno, the games I play, but I am so close to making it down to £110k which is the next goal, and then it will be making it towards £100k, and then double figures. But, and of course this is the big but, I need to start paying into the savings account too, as there are jobs in the house I have earmarked to have done this year and I can't afford to do both at the same time. I am also about 3 months away from running out of all the smaller, cheaper jobs that I can do myself. So, I am going to keep up with the regular £247 overpayment I have committed myself to, but also save hard to be able to pay someone to do the big jobs.
  • f0xh0les
    edited 4 April 2017 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Da-da-daaaaaaa! The amount on the monthly totalizer is

£112,250.00

So.... two skirting boards are drying after coat #3 of white paint,
    they are in the kitchen at the minute, so I might get them back up to the top floor and attached to the wall today. That'll be fun !! Also been painting any door surround that is still dark brown. Soon they will all be gleaming white. But they all have to be dry before the kids get home from school or it gets messy, it seriously cuts down on my productivity, but cannot be helped.

Next job, more shelves, can you tell I am on a mission to get rid of my list?

I found a blind in a charity shop the right size for the small loo upstairs (£5), ordered DS2 another blind after DS4 broke it by not knowing how blinds work (he was suitably upset about having done it so no further action taken). I have put a large mirror in the upstairs loo, which is bouncing light into a very shady room. Added bonus is that the light is coming through the glazed panel of the door, and is making the top of the landing brighter.

I am starting to feel that soon, I am going to be able to see an improvement. I know as soon as I get everywhere wallpapered, and new carpet down the hall, stairs, and landing, the whole place will look a million times better in a matter of a few days.

Over the Easter break, after the Ireland road trip, I plan to decorate my bedroom (the last bedroom to be done) and take down the shower cubicle that is unusable in the bathroom.

I have decided that lino ~ or cushion flooring or whatever is the current lingo is for flooring on a roll, is going to be the best, fastest, and cheapest option, in the bathroom. Then I will get quotes for a new shower and tiling, and hopefully not get another load of £6k quotes.

The big things that still need doing are......
    1 - Double or Triple glazing to the front of the house - for some reason the back has been done recently but the front is 1980s glazing and is draughty and you can hear every footstep on the pavement. It needs to be replaced.
    2 - Bathroom revamp and shower cubicle that can be used.
    3 - Carpet throughout from the top of the house to the bottom step of the stairs.
    4 - Roof - not currently a problem but on borrowed time, but will necessitate plastering on the ceilings (which might ruin the carpet!)

I am ignoring anything on the ground floor. Ground floor is for 2018, or when all the above is finished.

There, a plan of action, now to find out how much each is going to cost, and figure out how to pay for it all.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're making HUGE progress. Do you want to come round and do some of mine? :)

I've finished upstairs, but need to nag the builders to come back and do downstairs - I'd like to finish it this year (ideally before I get to 4 years here), and it would be nice to have a kitchen in soon as I haven't had one for 3.5 years now.

Re. bathrooms - a friend was over at the weekend saying that the bathroom quotes meant that she couldn't afford to do anything like what she wanted (they were coming in at around £10k), so we went through and redid the design and came up with solutions to the problems the bathroom people had raised (they claimed loos/showers/baths/basins only came in certain sizes/shapes etc) by looking at my bathrooms and doing some measuring. We used the website my builder uses for bathroom fittings to price it, and she went away knowing she could do it for less than half what's been quoted (including labour) and is now going to buy the stuff herself and employ a plumber. Her husband can do tiling and flooring (vinyl) and she's also going to get him to make under-sink cabinets having seen the 'bespoke' ones I've had made out of waterproof MDF for a fraction of the price of the ones in bathroom catalogues.

I'm not crazy about carpet, so upstairs the floorboards have been sanded, colourwashed and varnished - I've done this in previous houses as well. The bedrooms have rugs on the floors, but the wood doesn't tend to get cold (and in this house, as all the floors have been taken up, I've had insulation put between the floorboards and the ceilings. The colourwash is a 25% dilution of the wall colours, so you can see the wood grain, and it reflects light into the rooms. It might be a good temporary option for you until the roof is done, and it's easy DIY.
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    It is so hard to work out how much money you have when 'people' (mortgage company) change your amounts without telling you. They have dropped the monthly payment by £5 because of my overpayments.
    If we want to put it back up, it will class as an overpayment. Might use it as a way of upping the DH payment to £500 (from £478, well, now £473), it looks tidier.
    I have introduced the idea of Tilly Tidying to DH )didn't use the name. He loves the idea! Saving without saving. Good old Tilly. Must get over to the O/S pages again soon. I have been neglecting them now we have a bit more money.
    Get right back to basics.

I am picking up some Nomorenails for skirting boards and a Streetlifed light fitting for £5 on the way back from the school run. 3 beds to be changed and laundered, and the house cleaned in readiness for leaving on Sunday, and the car hoovered and cleaned in preparation for the long drive to Ireland. That'll be fun. The kids are already getting excited about night boats and cabins.
    Oh well, they will remember it when they are older, and the rellies are all around the 70 yr old mark, so they won't last forever. Must remember to pack my nice screwdriver with me. Old lady has a list of jobs for me to do and a load for the tip and a load for the charity shop ready for me, and has arranged a dentist and optician appointment while we are there (4 days) so I will be kept busy. Hope for sunshine and be glad of a nice park and a pool with waterslides for the kids.

So, I think that the daily interest is now £5.96.

Great ideas on the bathroom Greenbee, which website do you use for pricing things? I wish you could just do a Rumplestiltskin style scenario with bathroom fitters, you lock them in a room overnight with all the things they need to do the job, and when you get up in the morning, you have a room full of spun gold..... or you chop off their head.
    Sounds a bit drastic now I have typed it though.... might need a rethink.
  • greenbee
    Options
    Have PM'd you some links.

I had to tell my building society that I wanted the overpayments to reduce the term rather than the payment - the normal approach was to readjust payments but I think they're starting to realise people want to pay off early. So talk to them about it, otherwise you'll end up with the payment reduced so much that your normal payments will get you to your OP limit!

If you're bored, feel free to come and help me put up my fence...
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    The stupid mortgage people made us take out a 26 1/2 year mortgage based on affordability (totally ridiculous). I have asked them to take £500 a month as the repayment and I will add to the overpayments whenever there is anything left - and it is a sneaky way to get OH to join in with the overpaying. An extra £25 a month is not major, but it is 4 days interest I don't have to find.

We can overpay up to 10% of the total borrowed in a year, and there is no way I am going to be able to overpay nearly 12k a year. As I am looking to jump ship in 10 months when the fixed rate ends, and we are only looking at staying in the area for another 3 or 4 years, dropping the term doesn't really make any sense to us. We won't be here anyway, it is just a tart it up while living here and sell it on when a job appears somewhere else that tickles DH's fancy..

Annoyances for the day. Went off and got the gluey stuff, took the two x 13 feet long skirting boards up two flights of stairs and five sets of 90 degree bends, was just about to sticky them up when I thought, oh.. I will just check they still fit (like they were going to have shrunk or something, and guess what!!
    The skirting boards sit about 1cm higher than the plug sockets.

Arrrrggghhhhh!!

Even when taking the carpet into consideration, there is no way the plug sockets were put in an inch above the skirting boards. Have I mentioned AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!! ?

So, I am going to have to take a cm off the bottom of the sodding skirting board so it fits under the sodding plug sodding socket. Why is it never easy???? Why did the electrician not do what I asked in the first place???
    Why... why..... why..... Delilah!

Ok, the locking tradesmen in a room overnight (and lopping off bits if they have not done what you asked for by morning) no longer sounds too harsh. Does still sound like a Fairy Tale though.

Off to put up some more shelves. At least I can do that.
  • greenbee
    Options
    I'm with you on the trades people... my builder has gone awol again... he's still due to replace a dud tap and fix a window that he dropped last year. And I need a quote for getting downstairs done which I expected to get two weeks ago. I may have to go and find someone else to quote for it if I don't hear anything soon.

I don't know why they would have put your sockets down too low. The standard now is to have them fairly high (annoyingly so in my opinion... but then there's flood risk here, so it makes sense in some ways), so too low is unusual. Can you make them come back and redo it, or do you never want to see them again? :D

I have a landscape gardener coming round after work today as I've had to face up to the fact that I can't work full time and get it all done. So hopefully I'll see progress there this year. Some of it has to wait until the builders have finished though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback