Paint brushes, rollers and paint strippers?

Options
Hopefully moving soon so will have to do some decorating as the previous owner was old and unable to keep the decor up to date.

In the past I've left brushes and rollers to dry and tried to clean them up afterwards which has resulted in not the best finish. This time I'm going to spend more time in the prep and also the cleaning.

Which scraper, tool or liquid, do you recommend for removing years of old built up gloss paint on skirting boards, picture rails, banisters etc?

Which paint brushes and rollers do you recommend to give the best finish.

Comments

• xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For old gloss it depends on how much work you want to do and what level of perfection is needed.. Normally you can get away with cleaning with sugar soap, then drying, then light sanding (so new paint can key in), undercoat, light sand and 1/2 topcoat. You can also use a very grippy primer like zinsser bin which will reduce need of lot of preparation.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 3:39PM
    Options
    EU legislation means over-the-counter paint-strippers are barely more effective than milk.

A super-effective caustic remover can be made from

1 cup of borax
    1 cup of ammonia
    1 cup of washing soda (for extra oomph, caustic soda)

Add tepid water until it's a paste then apply, leave for 30 mins and wash off, using a nylon scouring pad for stubborn bits

Eye protection and heavy duty rubber gloves essential!
  • Horseygirl123
    Options
    When we moved into our 1920s house, all the mouldings on doors, staircase, skirting boards etc, had disappeared under layers of thick gunky shellac varnish and gloss paint. I stripped the lot using a blow torch and scraper along with nitromors which in those days was pretty harsh stuff. Nowadays I'd use a heat gun for the job. If paintwork is in good condition then as advised above.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

In the past I've left brushes and rollers to dry and tried to clean them up afterwards which has resulted in not the best finish.
    Wrap the wet roller in plastic, I use a bread bag turned inside out. Fit tightly so there is no air inside. Roller will last days or weeks like this. I wash brushes used with water based paints immediately after use. For oil based paint stand them in a cup of water between coats or overnight.

Empty roller trays between coats or overnight by pouring the paint back into the tin. Use the brush to remove as much paint as possible then wash in the sink using a washing up sponge scourer.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which scraper, tool or liquid, do you recommend for removing years of old built up gloss paint on skirting boards, picture rails, banisters etc?

I'd recomend just replacing them and using a nice satinwood not a horrible gloss.

But even if yoiu want gloss I'd still just replace them, especially with years of old build up. They are fairly cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure