Shower screen just caved in

Options
Hello all and apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place.

I was quietly sitting downstairs this evening when I heard an almighty crash. On inspection, my shower screen has completely caved in. There is glass everywhere and someone could have been seriously hurt.

I am furious right now, not only because of what has happened, but because the entire bathroom suite has been nothing but trouble since we bought it 3 years ago.

I will be emailing the supplier directly, with photos. In the meantime, could anyone advise where else I could turn to for advice? I have no doubt the company involved will try to wriggle out of this, which I am determined not to let happen. As I say, someone could have been seriously hurt.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was it fitted by a professional or by you

If it was self fitted you are going to have trouble proving it was installed properly
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • DKK
    DKK Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Bought from a (supposedly) reputable company, fitted by a highly professional builder.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Google the make of screen , see if anyone else has the same problem
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • DKK
    Options
    Thanks Browntoa, I'm doing that now.

I've never known such a thing to happen - incredibly dangerous! And has only been in use for 3 years.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you in one of the parts of the UK that has been extremely hot and sunny today? and if so, are there any south facing windows in the bathroom?
    If there was a scratch (and it doesn't need to be very big) on the screen then any thermal expansion could very easily cause the glass to shatter.

Even if this wasn't the cause, after 3 years from fitting and with the glass now shattered, you will have an almost impossible job of proving that the shattering wasn't caused by damage caused since the screen was installed.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DKK wrote: »
    Hello all and apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place.

I was quietly sitting downstairs this evening when I heard an almighty crash. On inspection, my shower screen has completely caved in. There is glass everywhere and someone could have been seriously hurt.

I am furious right now, not only because of what has happened, but because the entire bathroom suite has been nothing but trouble since we bought it 3 years ago.

I will be emailing the supplier directly, with photos. In the meantime, could anyone advise where else I could turn to for advice? I have no doubt the company involved will try to wriggle out of this, which I am determined not to let happen. As I say, someone could have been seriously hurt.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

The following threads may be of some interest:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5464968

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1507193
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DKK wrote: »
    Bought from a (supposedly) reputable company, fitted by a highly professional builder.
    Who purchased the screen, you or the 'highly professional builder'?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    toughened glass, it goes with a pop and small pieces - that wouldn't seriously injure anyone - are the result. It breaks after an impact, and it can be some time after. All uk supplied toughened glass meets British Standards, It will have been toughened to the highest spec (class A) and every single batch has pieces tested when its made.

3 Years after it was purchased you will have an impossible job attempting to prove it was supplied faulty.

Sorry.
  • DKK
    Options
    Thanks George

Yes, am in sunny Essex. House temperature read 28.5C when I got home this evening.

Doing a search on Google - as Browntoa suggested - this point has come up.
  • DKK
    Options
    Thank you naedanger, wealdroam and Mr.Generous for your input.

I'm slowly coming round to the idea that I am going to get nowhere. My frustration stems from the fact that the entire suite has been awful from day one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure