Barclaycard PPI claim confusion/discrepancy

Options
Hi

In July I found an old Morgan Stanley (now BC) credit card statement which showed PPI. As I make a point of not signing up for anything like this, I assumed that it was from the old days when it was standard practice for the creditor to enrol you. I duly sent off my complaint and received an acknowledgement with reference number promptly.

As I heard nothing further from them, I contacted the Ombudsman (via Resolver) at the end of September. Towards the end of October, I received my paperwork from the Ombudsman and a couple of days later a letter from Barclaycard, apologising for the delay, that they are not in a position to provide a decision yet due to volume of cases and informing me of my rights to contact Ombudsman. I assumed that this letter was a result of prompting from Ombudsman.

However, yesterday I received an email from the Ombudsman to say that Barclaycard had apparently written to me on 16th August making me an offer and were waiting for my response. Ombudsman said the offer is in line with their approach that PPI should not have been sold and financial re-imbursement to be such that my financial position to be as if I had not taken the policy - all sounding good!

But now my confusion. Because of the apparent different dates and comments by Barclaycard, which one is the one which will be followed, August one because that it is the one that has been given to the Ombudsman or the October one, which could ultimately be more detrimental?

I realise that we are all human and make mistakes so there could be a genuine mistake made by either Barclaycard or the Ombudsman with regard to dates, but not sure what to think.

Anybody had a similar thing happen?
A smile costs little but creates much :)

Comments

• Hi

Sorry I cannot offer any advice but we have been in a similar situation with barclays, when we complained about PPI a few months they say that they had written to us a year ago to refuse our claim but we had not received any correspondence from them. We complained about this through resolver and asked them for a SAR but they wrote to us saying they could not confirm our address as it was not on their records??
    Eventually they called us back to get the details of the PPI claim and we are still waiting for a response.
    Good luck with your claim.
    Emergency fund target £12,000 (£2589).
    Mortgage balance: £144,391.92
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But now my confusion. Because of the apparent different dates and comments by Barclaycard, which one is the one which will be followed, August one because that it is the one that has been given to the Ombudsman or the October one, which could ultimately be more detrimental??

They will calculate your redress up to the time they issue the cheque.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    They will calculate your redress up to the time they issue the cheque.

Thanks for that, my concern was that following the October letter, they may only begin investigation now & decide there is no offer to be made as a result.
  • -taff
    Options
    Actually, you've confused me now. It sounds like the ombudsman has upheld your complaint? Is ths right or not?
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    Actually, you've confused me now. It sounds like the ombudsman has upheld your complaint? Is ths right or not?

Hmm, didn't look at it like that. Barclaycard sent them a copy of a letter which they apparently sent me in August making an offer. This offer appears to fall in with Ombudsman guidance/instructions on mis selling and restoring to financial position without PPI having been charged plus ancillary interest penalties being reimbursed also.

I suppose that may well mean that my complaint has been upheld, if it has, didn't expect it that easily!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like you just need to get hold of Barclays and ask them to check the address that they have and re-send their offer letter.

Errors on letters from the lenders during complaints are not uncommon - the system may say a letter has been sent but that doesn't mean it left a mailroom or didn't get lost on the way.

The contradictory letter is nothing unusual. Delay letters are usually automatically generated and if the case is shown as unresolved, you may have received a delay letter for that reason (even though it makes no sense in your case).

The only thing that sounds a little odd is that I would have expected that you would have had a cheque by now.

I say that because although it's called an offer, if it's a full refund as indicated by the FOS, it's not really. They just send a letter telling you the decision and the amount and then send a cheque within 28 days.

I guess if the letter went astray, then the cheque may have as well. It can be resolved by contacting them, but may take a little while as all Barclays calls will go to a general purpose customer contact centre.

If you can't get anywhere with Barclays, you can ask the FOS to assist again.

Stuart
  • -taff
    Options
    I suppose that may well mean that my complaint has been upheld, if it has, didn't expect it that easily!

Yes, it means your complaint was upheld.
    You may have to go in branch with proof of address or send it to them.
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Thanks guys, you have made my day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure