Refresh energy - free boiler

Options
Hi has anyone had a free boiler installed with refresh energy?
It seems like a good offer, free boiler and installation, free led lights you just have to stay with them for five years.

I'm always skeptical of offers like this so wondering if anyone had experience with them.

Thanks

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 November 2018 at 3:04PM
    Options
    I assume that it is this Company:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09624041

Make up you own mind. If it sounds too good to be true,.............

Refresh appears to be a BUSINESS switching service:

Refresh Energy was founded in 2015 with the vision of proactively changing the energy management & procurement industry for the greater good. We have gathered our skills from over 30 years of industry experience to provide a service which goes beyond the norm, providing many benefits for our clients and also the environment. We help UK businesses to get the most value from their energy contracts and our unique approach sets us apart from our competition. At Refresh Energy, not only do we provide our clients with exceptional packages, we also supply and implement free energy saving solutions throughout their businesses to help reduce energy consumption and improve their carbon footprint.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No such thing as free.
  • I've been contacted by them too - no means testing, free boiler & LED lighting, tied to them as energy supplier for 5 years.
    I'm going to ask for more detail tomorrow about the energy rates etc. but it does sound too good to be true! That said, I know in some areas energy suppliers *do* pay third parties for a reduction in demand through LED lighting so it could be legit....

Be great to hear if anyone has more info...
  • Louise_80
    Options
    They been at my house too they have sent me an email with what my cost will be for the next 5 years but not decided if I should go through or not they are working out roughly about same price as I pay bulb and my heating breakdown policy but build can change prices at any time
  • System
    Options
    Louise_80 wrote: »
    They been at my house too they have sent me an email with what my cost will be for the next 5 years but not decided if I should go through or not they are working out roughly about same price as I pay bulb and my heating breakdown policy but build can change prices at any time

Welcome to the forum. Are they offering you a fixed price contract for 5 years? As others have pointed out, there is no such thing as a free boiler. It has to be paid for by someone. Are they including free annual servicing? Personally, I would look very carefully at the contract detail (terms and conditions) before signing anything.
  • Louise_80
    Options
    Yes all breakdown servicing included I am a bit weary so I've sent my email with all the details to a few friends to read for me
  • ShinyNewHomeOwner
    ShinyNewHomeOwner Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 16 November 2018 at 2:37PM
    Options
    Ahhhh!
    Had the seller at my house today and it does all sound good - you basically commit to one of the Big 6 for 5 years but get free boiler (incl warm water flush of system) & servicing and the LED bulbs.
    My price comparison looked AMAZING, but is based on a huge 43% saving on my Gas bill, plus saving annual service fee, plus 7% saving on electricity. I'm not sure how realistic the gas saving is.
    However even if I take ONLY a 20% saving on gas, assuming my current tariff stays the same I would break even over the five years.

So all looking ok, but I've just noticed he ticked a box which waived my right to a 14 day cool-off period, which is NOT COOL! I'm pretty sure I'm happy to go ahead but do want time to digest it all. ***EDIT*** Just called them and they will not process anything until I confirm when they phone me on Monday that I am happy with everything and happy to waive the 14 days - I can reinstate it on the phonecall if I want :) phew!!!!****

So word of warning to everyone - check the calculations yourself and keep an eye that you retain your 14 days to cool off. Can't believe I didn't spot it :(
  • System
    Options
    Ahhhh!
    Had the seller at my house today and it does all sound good - you basically commit to one of the Big 6 for 5 years but get free boiler (incl warm water flush of system) & servicing and the LED bulbs.
    My price comparison looked AMAZING, but is based on a huge 43% saving on my Gas bill, plus saving annual service fee, plus 7% saving on electricity. I'm not sure how realistic the gas saving is.
    However even if I take ONLY a 20% saving on gas, assuming my current tariff stays the same I would break even over the five years.

So all looking ok, but I've just noticed he ticked a box which waived my right to a 14 day cool-off period, which is NOT COOL! I'm pretty sure I'm happy to go ahead but do want time to digest it all.

So word of warning to everyone - check the calculations yourself and keep an eye that you retain your 14 days to cool off. Can't believe I didn't spot it :(

43% saving - he is having a laugh. This is what The Energy Savings Trust thinks:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/home-energy-efficiency/boiler-replacement

What tariff rate are they offering you for a 5 year fix?
  • Useful link thank-you!
    My offer is Elec 17.5p, Gas 4.2p, both have 23p standing charge.

The rate they offer depends on your annual consumption so would be different for every house I think.
  • System
    Options
    Useful link thank-you!
    My offer is Elec 17.5p, Gas 4.2p, both have 23p standing charge.

The rate they offer depends on your annual consumption so would be different for every house I think.

And they are offering this fixed rate for 5 years when many of their competitors are struggling to stay afloat. Wow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure