PIP 1.6 million claims review

I'm a little bit confused and unsure if I will be affected during this review and any help would be appreciated :)

I'm currently claiming PIP and received my 1st PIP payment on 30th November 2016. Do the changes affect the claims of people who received their 1st payment on or after the 28th November 2016? or is it the date that they applied for PIP? if that is the case I'm unsure if I'll be affected or not because im assuming I must have applied for PIP around September/October time if I received my 1st payment on 30th November

will all 1.6 million claimants receive something in writing telling them if they have been affected or not? I have not received anything in writing as of yet but im guessing it could take a while!

Dean

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm a little bit confused and unsure if I will be affected during this review and any help would be appreciated :)

I'm currently claiming PIP and received my 1st PIP payment on 30th November 2016. Do the changes affect the claims of people who received their 1st payment on or after the 28th November 2016? or is it the date that they applied for PIP? if that is the case I'm unsure if I'll be affected or not because im assuming I must have applied for PIP around September/October time if I received my 1st payment on 30th November

will all 1.6 million claimants receive something in writing telling them if they have been affected or not? I have not received anything in writing as of yet but im guessing it could take a while!

Dean
    They are looking at claims that had a decision on or after 28th November 2016. If your decision was made before that date then your claim won't be looked at again. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016

We are looking at all current PIP claims to check if this change means you may be eligible for more support under PIP.
    We are also looking again at claims we decided on or after 28 November 2016 where we did not award PIP.
  • thanks for the reply :) sounds as though I won't be affected by the change which is a shame because I do believe I should be entitled to the mobility component.

I didn't ask for a mandatory consideration at the time but would it be worth putting in a new claim now or is there a risk of losing everything?

Dean
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ... but would it be worth putting in a new claim now or is there a risk of losing everything?

Dean

I'd strongly suggest getting face to face advice from a local advice agency before doing this.
    If you request a supersession of your current PIP award, the whole claim is looked at afresh by the DWP. You could indeed lose your current award.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-a-benefit-decision/challenging-a-dwp-benefit-decision-on-or-after-28-october-2013/changing-a-benefit-decision-by-revision-and-supersession/changing-a-dwp-benefit-decision-by-supersession/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • thank you for your reply and help! that makes sense :)

I will have a look at the link and seek some advice before deciding on what to do

Dean
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    They are looking at claims that had a decision on or after 28th November 2016. If your decision was made before that date then your claim won't be looked at again. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016

We are looking at all current PIP claims to check if this change means you may be eligible for more support under PIP.
    We are also looking again at claims we decided on or after 28 November 2016 where we did not award PIP.
    The bit in bold refers to claims where no PIP award was made and so the claim was closed. As far as I am aware anyone who had a decision prior to 28 November 2016 but where there is an open (i.e. current) PIP claim is also covered by the review if the person was refused the mobility component (usually because they only got 4 points) or only awarded the standard rate. In this case any revision will only take effect from 28/11/16.

If I've understood it correctly the OP doesn't need to contact the DWP, the DWP should look at their PIP claim at some point and will write to them when a decision has been made.
  • Thanks Robbie64 for the reply :) it's all very confusing! I also just saw this:

"The review will seek to identify claimants who may now be eligible for more support as a result of the judgment in MH, and will include anyone who was receiving PIP at 28 November 2016"

I was receiving PIP from 30 November 2016 but really don't know at this stage as to what's happening.

I wont contact DWP i'll wait until DWP write to me :) it would be nice if I was awarded backdated payments as I do believe I'm entitled to the mobility component although I'm not currently receiving it

Dean
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Robbie64 for the reply :) it's all very confusing! I also just saw this:

"The review will seek to identify claimants who may now be eligible for more support as a result of the judgment in MH, and will include anyone who was receiving PIP at 28 November 2016"

I was receiving PIP from 30 November 2016 but really don't know at this stage as to what's happening.

I wont contact DWP i'll wait until DWP write to me :) it would be nice if I was awarded backdated payments as I do believe I'm entitled to the mobility component although I'm not currently receiving it

Dean
    Did you get any points for the mobility part of PIP in your original PIP claim? While some people have had their points revised from 0 points (assuming the person wanted to claim for PIP on mobility grounds and so completed that part of the PIP2 form) it seems like most of the awards made so far on revision are from claims where either 4 points was originally given (hence no mobility component) or where only the standard rate of mobility was awarded and this has been revised to the enhanced rate.
  • thanks for the reply Robbie64:)

I'm sure I did get awarded points for the mobility component at the time but wasnt awarded for it and can't remember exactly how many points i got :( I guess it'll be a waiting game now

Dean
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 August 2019 at 3:01PM
    One possible option might be to write to your MP.
    Explain you think your award should be in those being reviewed following the removal of the wording "for reasons other than psychological distress"; detail the PIP dates; the points you scored (esp if these included points for social engagement); explain how you were impacted by psychological distress when making a journey at the time of the decision.
    Ask your MP to intervene with the DWP to check if your case will be reviewed, and when you can expect this to happen.

A letter from an MP to the DWP is likely to be given more weight than from a claimant (and won't be construed as a supercession request). You can then follow up as necessary.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • thanks for the reply Alice Holt :)

that sounds like good advice, I will take that on board and will look in to doing that in the future if I don't receive anything in writing. I know it'll probably be quite a long process for them to review 1.6 million cases so I'll wait a while :)

Dean
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport