Benefits for terminally ill on top of AA

My Mother had a routine visit from her heart failure nurse yesterday. She brought a form to be signed and said it was to get her some extra money, around £88 per week. Unfortunately I wasn't there to see the form so I am not sure exactly what it was.

The nurse said it was extra money for terminally ill people and there were special rules about it. She said the doctor had filled in his part of the form and she had filled in the other part and it would take about 10 days to be awarded.

I spoke to the nurse and asked if she meant AA at the higher rate because my Mother already gets that and it is around the £88 a week she talked of. She said it wasnt AA and that the council couldnt take it towards the cost of her care, which is what they did when she was higher rate AA from lower rate in April.

Now I have looked everywhere I can think of and cant find a thing, it sounds like a fast track for AA that she is talking about, which she already gets.

If anyone could shed some light on what else it could be I would appreciate it. I think the nurse has confused it with AA but maybe you guys might know differently.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 August 2019 at 4:05PM
    You are correct, AA is the only disability benefit available to those aged 65 and above.

The only other benefit that's paid with AA is Severe disability premium but this is paid with pension credit, if the person lives alone and no one claims carers allowance for them. For this though, there's no form that needs to be signed by any GP.

I think you're right, it's AA.
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Poppy I was pretty sure I was right but it doesn't hurt to check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure