Blood Pressure Monitor

Options
Hi

Went to the docs a few weeks ago and my blood pressure was high. The doctor advised me I needed to have a 24 hour monitor fitted, and would be contacted by the surgery. I went in and saw a rather brusque receptionist who said you will contacted by the nurse as soon as one is free. Is it normal to wait for weeks?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Varies by area, why not give them a call and ask for timescales?
  • merrydance
    merrydance Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I called in and the receptionist said you'll get one as soon as one is free. I am a bit concerned as the doctor will not prescribe me any medication until I have this done.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    merrydance wrote: »
    I am a bit concerned as the doctor will not prescribe me any medication until I have this done.

We have our own tester at home - it only takes one-off readings but you may find that your results are much lower when taken at home.

Buy - or borrow - one and take readings several times a day - if your results are always high you could try to get your GP to reconsider medication.

There are also self-help things you can do to reduce your blood pressure.
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    merrydance wrote: »
    Hi

Went to the docs a few weeks ago and my blood pressure was high. The doctor advised me I needed to have a 24 hour monitor fitted, and would be contacted by the surgery. I went in and saw a rather brusque receptionist who said you will contacted by the nurse as soon as one is free. Is it normal to wait for weeks?

If you do have hypertension, you will have had it for months/ years. Waiting a few extra weeks for a diagnosis will make no difference!!
  • merrydance
    Options
    Oh ok puts my mind at rest! It's just that I have double vision, and the eye consultant at the hospital said I should get my blood pressure sorted out.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously we need to be careful not to go down the route of giving medical advice here, but, I'm sure if there was an immediate need you wouldn't be waiting, either for the test or treament.
  • fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    Or try going when there's a different receptionist on duty! Our drs team of receptionists vary from 'lovely and co-operative' to 'knowledgeable but not particularly friendly' to 'disgruntled and not very helpful'.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • merrydance
    Options
    Yes I am going for a ct scan on Monday. I will ask for their advice. Thanks
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have an Omron brand (used by many GPs), but mine runs on batteries. It was quite cheap, bought as an Amazon Warehouse 'used' item, when only the box was a little tatty.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Our GP gave Marley the choice of either wearing a 24hr monitor (but we'd have to make time to go in and collect it; and then make time to go in and take it back). The alternative was to use our home monitor, taking 2 readings each day, and bringing the results in for the GP to review and take the average from. You can guess which option we chose :) Worth mentioning to your GP, OP?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport