PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deeds say no extending

Options
Hi
I was a La tenant and purchased my property off them. It took ages and during that time I had a conservatory put on the back of the property while I was still a tenant. So when I purchased the property it was already there.

Roll on 8 weeks after purchasing and receiving deeds, it states in the deeds I can not extend the property at all.... Meaning conservatory not allowed, it's been there 2 years now but was wondering if I decide to sell in the future am I going to have problems and what should I do.

Basically when I officially purchased it, it had a conservatory.

Any advice greatly received

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just lost a long reply to you, but the gist of it was as follows: You shouldn't worry, as the conservatory's been there 2 years and no one's complained, so it's unlikely the council will send someone to check it's not there!

Minor breaches of covenants like this, where the chance of enforcement is very low, are covered by what's called indemnity insurance at the time of a sale. In other words, you or your buyer could buy cheap insurance to cover any legal costs of council enforcement. This will satisfy lenders & solicitors.

So, no need to worry. If it's a true conservatory, with no CH and proper doors between it and the house, it's regarded as permitted development in most places and classed as a temporary structure/outbuilding anyway.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Conservatory is not a problem because it is only a temporary building and if it was going to cause any problems in the future you could just take it down.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    K4tr1na wrote: »
    Basically when I officially purchased it, it had a conservatory.
    Presumably you have paperwork backing that up?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure