Sick note while on hoilday

Options
2»

Comments

• discat11
    discat11 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TBF, and absolutely no disrespect for the revered DB, if the RAF hadn't been flat desperate for experienced pilots, DB wouldn't have been able to put in a full days work in the air in any case.

Not that DBs abilities in any way relate to the OPs Mum and it's silly to attempt to compare the 2.

I concur with the others, check with the employer, but in essence it should make no difference, the holiday was booked long before the sick leave and I've had some easy days at work in my various careers but at no time would I say I worked as hard on holiday.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks just she got a message from someone at work who said she would get fired if she took hoilday while been on sick

Got a message? As in a phone call, text message?

Someone? From HR? Her boss?

Was the message 'if you go on holiday you will be fired'? I would keep this message and contact occ health and HR to clarify. You should not recieve a message like that, it reads as threatening to me. It may well be the case, but I doubt it and should not be communicated that way.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You talk to the employer.

You get the fit note that explains that the work is not possible but you can still do stuff.

The employer than can assess the situation and decide in advance how they will deal with the situation.

What you don't do is go sick and go on holiday without telling them.

What is the sick pay policy?

Is the holiday likely to make the condition worse or delay recovery
    if not there is no reason to not allow the holiday.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Is your mum getting sick pay and also expecting holiday pay?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Rebeccaa9501
    Options
    No she has said that she would be okay just reccing hoilday or sick pay as she wasn’t expecting to be on sick right away she was gonna be, on sick after hoilday but they told her
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 August 2019 at 4:42PM
    Options
    No she has said that she would be okay just reccing hoilday or sick pay as she wasn’t expecting to be on sick right away she was gonna be, on sick after hoilday but they told her

And they told her ........ ?

And, again, who is/are "they"? Is is a work friend/colleague who isn't really a friend?
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I still don't understand. Are you saying HR said if she goes on holiday she will be fired? You didn't answer, so we don't really know who has said what.

In the quote above, is the sentence finished? You say.... 'but they told her' and then didn't say what she was told.

Basically, who told her she is to be fired. Who has she spoken to at work about this? Why are HR texting (messaging her and not doing it more formally) Is she on a fit note now. And what is the end of the sentence 'but they told her.........'
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As others have said, what is critical is who has told her that she will get fired ifshegoes on holiday?
    It is is simily a coworker than don't assume that they know anything.

However, either way it is sensible for her to clarify with her employer directly.

It may, of course, depend on the wording of her fit note and on what type of work she does.

If she can get a mobility scooter nad be miile enough to take a holiday, could she use a scooter or wheelchair and come to work? Or are there other limitation as well? Does her fit note explicitly say that shein not fit for any type of work?

It may be that she mneeds to speak to her employer, explian the situation and say that she has had a call saying that she will be sacked if she goes away, but asking them to confirm that that is not the case.

Either they will reassure her that no, it's not the case, or else they will tell her that it is, at which point she neds to speak to her union rep for help
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure