NI Homeless Help

Options
I had originally posted this under Rent/Housing Help but was advised by another helpful user to perhaps post it in the benefits section to see if anyone has any suggestions on some sort of help.

I live in Northern Ireland, I have been awarded 190 points by the NIHE (Northern Ireland Housing Executive), but have been told the areas that would be "safe" for me to live in have little to know turn over and I'd be looking at 90 weeks + before anything could become available. I have already been on the list for over a year.

I have Complex PTSD which means I cannot live in a hostel, shared accommodation, flats/apartments. I am currently sleeping on my cousin's sofa, but he has been diagnosed as a hoarder. His hoarding has had a massive impact on my mental health as my alcoholic mother was the same and one of the triggers to my PTSD is clutter and filth. No one like sliving like that in the best of times, but when you've PTSD it makes it a hell of a lot worse.

The NIHE have discussed a single let property, but again I have stressed to them (and provided medical evidence of) not being able to live in a flat or apartment.

Due to my PTSD, I am not working and have been surviving on my enhanced PIP. I have no one that can help me financially.

Looking at the private rented accommodation where I am, I would have to be paying £450 in rent a month, which I could pay, but because they ask for £450 deposit + £450 rent in advance I cannot afford it.

I have been left to it by the NIHE and I've already self-harmed in the past ten minutes of receiving this news. Being homeless I have nothing I can sell to make the £1000 unless I sold my own body, but I'm too ugly for that and don't have the confidence to even go there.

At this point I feel I'd be better off dead, I've tried Housing Rights who have told me to try asking to be put on management transfer list by the Manager at the NIHE, and to see about more points, but I've been awarded the right amount of points from where I am sitting.

Other than suicide I see no other way out, any loans I could get would come with a high-interest rate of 49.9% APR because my credit history is shoddy due to not working.

I don't know what else to do and really hope, someone, somewhere can offer me advice. I'm just asking for a place to live and sleep. I'm not one of those people that makes a lot of fuss, I just want somewhere quiet and clean on my own.

I literally have no one, I even set up a Go Fund me and it got absolutely no-where so I am fresh out of ideas, suggestions and I have looked at several charities but I'm either too old, not "disabled enough" or just don't qualify in any other way.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    i sympathise with your problems but my sympathy won't get your very far, have you contacted a local citizens advice (cab)? I don't know if they cover N.I but the housing charity "shelter" offer good advice, also speak to your MP?
    I'm sure others will be along to offer suggestions.
    But the one thing I do know is that suicide is NEVER the answer, trust me I tried it once and i'm glad I failed.
    You say you are living off PIP are you not entitled to any other benefits e.g ESA ?
    What ever happens I wish you all the best and you can be assured that other members of this forum will do their best to give advice.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I don't know if smartmove housing is in your area? I think they have a scheme for people who cannot afford a deposit. (I might be misremembering and their site is being revamped at the moment)

https://www.smartmove-housing.com/
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at the private rented accommodation where I am, I would have to be paying £450 in rent a month, which I could pay, but because they ask for £450 deposit + £450 rent in advance I cannot afford it.

There usually are schemes around that will help with deposits in the form of a loan. In searching for NI, I came across this

https://www.housingadviceni.org/advice-private-tenants/help-deposits

There are also likely to be charities that help with grants for necessities - furniture, bedding, white goods.

https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/

If you need help with the search or in applying talk to CAB or similar.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 August 2019 at 9:28AM
    Options
    Housing can only house you in what is available, and you are needing a more 'premium' property. I appreciate you have issues which makes other properties unsuitable, but that doesnt change the fact you are wanting a desirable property which are rarer in social housing.

You also say your current living situation is untenable. Is living in your own clean flat, all by yourself, not preferable to 'living in clutter and filth' with someone else? It may not be your ideal scenario, but is it better?

[STRIKE]Is your PTSD military related, and if so, have you approached any veterans charities?[/STRIKE]

More info in an earlier thread, which may be useful in this one also.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6018301
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you considered moving to an area that is outside of your 'safe area'?

I've lived in NI all my life, in a town that hasn't exactly been friendly to my community background, and it has played a part in my health. So I can get where you're coming from. That said, the circumstances here might dictate that you need to cast the net wider.

I don't think you have been discriminated against, they have a list of criterion that they have to adhere to, and you have placed restrictions on what properties you could possibly accept.
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    If you present as homeless surely the council need only offer you a roof over your head and then their duty to you is over. That is what happens in most authorities in England.Whether you take up the offer is up to you. I can appreciate that you have issues but you can't have something that doesn't exist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure