Billy No Mates

Options
Has anyone used this "natural alternative " to Advocate and Spot On which are full of very strong chemicals and have a reputation from many dog owners of nasty side effects.

The idea of an alternative will appeal to many people but I would be interested to hear what others think ?

My small rescue dog also has an atopic allergy which makes her scratch and lick and bite her paws.

The vet gave me Advocate for 5-12kg dogs which was way too much, so I asked for the 1-5kg dog version. but I'd rather not use any of it.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used BNM for many years, from March-October.

Despite regular walks in the woods, we have not picked up any ticks. They have never had fleas. Very glossy coats from the Neem oil!

I also wormcount and only worm if needed. To date, that's one worming in 5 years across two dogs, which was when I started worm counting!
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 July 2019 at 2:20PM
    Options
    I have used BNM for the past couple of years on our shaggy dog in conjunction with Advantage spot on every couple of months (because the first year we had him he had fleas and I just can't stand them) and Waggleantics spray daily before his walk as a deterrent.

Despite all of this, we have found a couple of ticks on him this summer. However, he could have picked up a lot more without the BNM and it is not doing any harm.

For the past two summers he has been incredibly itchy and is constantly biting, scratching and licking his feet - even though he has no wildlife on him.

Could it just down to the heat? We have bathed him in expensive shampoo for sensitive skin and organic Neem based soap, but nothing seems to help. He has very good quality completely grain free food, so I can't see that it is down to diet. He also has Lintbells Itchy Dog oil supplement on his food every day!

I have seen posts saying that some vets recommend antihistamines, so perhaps it may be worth asking our vet.

PLEASE if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It could be mites causing the itch or a contact allergy to grass pr something else he walks on.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2019 at 5:41AM
    Options
    Natural is not automatically safer than artificial, can be quite the reverse. There are numerous poisons, toxins, allergens and irritants in nature. In fact all but one of the EU fragrance allergens list are components of essential oils.

The safest prescription and non prescription drugs are the ones that have cleared the largest number of rigorous clinical trials. Natural is irrelevant. Ask your pharmacist, your family doctor, your veterinarian, the experts.

Skin problems can be linked to traces of cleaning products or fragrance ingredients in the home, to food intolerances (eg. grains) or nutrient deficiencies. You might ask your veterinarian about a fish oil supplement. Check your dog shampoo for anionic surfactants which are proven to damage the skin barrier in atopic types, and for any fragrance ingredient.

HTH.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family