Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• simplenewstart
    Options
    My DRO was submitted last Thursday through StepChange. Even though it is all pretty straight forward, I am experiencing massive anxiety. I know it can be up to 10 days, but what are the average times at present? I was told I would get something in the post from the insolvency service. Will there also be an email or text? Cheers!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    My DRO was submitted last Thursday through StepChange. Even though it is all pretty straight forward, I am experiencing massive anxiety. I know it can be up to 10 days, but what are the average times at present? I was told I would get something in the post from the insolvency service. Will there also be an email or text? Cheers!

It takes one or two working days, the creditors and your intermediary then get an email.

On the following day, you should get your Notice in the post and it appears on the insolvency register.
  • simplenewstart
    Options
    Thanks fatbelly! Still nervously waiting. Hoping to hear something tomorrow.
  • simplenewstart
    Options
    Is it a bad sign if it takes longer after a DRO application is submitted? SC submitted my application late Thursday afternoon. As of this afternoon, they haven't heard anything. My application seemed really straight forward, but now anxiety has me thinking the worst. They said it can take up to 10 days, but it seems most have a much quicker process. Now I am worried I missed something and it's all gone wrong. :(
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Is it a bad sign if it takes longer after a DRO application is submitted? SC submitted my application late Thursday afternoon. As of this afternoon, they haven't heard anything. My application seemed really straight forward, but now anxiety has me thinking the worst. They said it can take up to 10 days, but it seems most have a much quicker process. Now I am worried I missed something and it's all gone wrong. :(

Have you definitely paid £90 on the barcode?

Have they definitely submitted it?

The last one I did was last Wednesday and it was approved on Friday.

If I had submitted one last Thursday but heard nothing, I'd be phoning to check tomorrow.
  • simplenewstart
    Options
    Have you definitely paid £90 on the barcode?

Have they definitely submitted it?

I paid last Thursday morning and they submitted it last Thursday, later in the afternoon. When I called SC this afternoon for an update, they said they hadn't heard anything yet, but told me it can take up to 10 working days.

Should I worry? I honestly don't know what I would have missed.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    I paid last Thursday morning and they submitted it last Thursday, later in the afternoon. When I called SC this afternoon for an update, they said they hadn't heard anything yet, but told me it can take up to 10 working days.

Should I worry? I honestly don't know what I would have missed.

Let's consider the possibilities.

1. The system was working well till Wednesday but hit a glitch on Thursday. I haven't heard that, but I didn't submit another one till today so can't rule it out.

2. You paid on one barcode but they submitted the application relating to another one. In that case the application fails and you start again.

3. They told you they submitted it but haven't done it yet.

4. You paid at a PayPoint, not a Payzone.

People think that a long delay means that the application is about to be rejected. That's not the case. The few rejections that get made happen quite quickly, usually because the intermediary has missed something obvious, like they're a homeowner, or have >20k of debt or had a DRO in the past 6 years.
  • simplenewstart
    Options
    Let's consider the possibilities.

1. The system was working well till Wednesday but hit a glitch on Thursday. I haven't heard that, but I didn't submit another one till today so can't rule it out.

2. You paid on one barcode but they submitted the application relating to another one. In that case the application fails and you start again.

3. They told you they submitted it but haven't done it yet.

4. You paid at a PayPoint, not a Payzone.

People think that a long delay means that the application is about to be rejected. That's not the case. The few rejections that get made happen quite quickly, usually because the intermediary has missed something obvious, like they're a homeowner, or have >20k of debt or had a DRO in the past 6 years.

Thank you! My debts are definitely under 20k, I don't own a home, car, or ever had a DRO. I don't work as I am a "mature" student trying to get in a better position to work when I graduate in a couple years. I don't receive any benefits other than child benefit, but that goes right into my husband's account and he uses that for my part of the expenses. They said they assessed me 0, whatever that means, so it sounds pretty straight forward.

It was definitely the right payment. I only know this because the place I went to does PayPoint and Payzone and they tried the wrong machine at first. It wouldn't go through. Once he tried it on the right machine, it was all good. I don't know about the points.

I am praying that I see my name of the register tomorrow, but if SC hadn't heard anything in the late afternoon, that's probably overly optimistic. :(
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Relax, the intermediary would not have submitted the application if it had any chance of being rejected.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Options
    It was definitely the right payment. I only know this because the place I went to does PayPoint and Payzone and they tried the wrong machine at first. It wouldn't go through. Once he tried it on the right machine, it was all good. I don't know about the points.

I suspect that's where the problem is.

Get your intermediary to check if the payment is showing at the DRO unit.

I tell people to pay at a post office - never had a problem there.

A failed application does not stop you making another one straight away.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback