Is it possible to claim twice?

Options
Hi everyone
I did quite a few PPI claims about 4-5 years ago and to be honest there was quite a few that I did and can’t remember every one I did at the time.
A couple of weeks ago a thought occurred to me that I might have missed one from Capital One but I wasn’t 100% sure. So I submitted a claim, and in the claim I did say that I wasn’t sure if I had previously successfully claimed ppi back or not on the account and that if I had to accept my apologies and not progress the claim.
Well anyway they found PPI and have refunded me. I’m just a bit concerned that in a few months they may discover that I did claim in the past and that they shouldn’t have paid me and demand the money back.
Would they know I had previously claimed and been paid out if I had been? Would the Records be there? I’m thinking they would know if I had had a previous successful claim wouldn’t they?
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So late in the day, the answer is to submit your old complaint again. Of course, you'll simply be rejected, but at least you'll know for sure you haven't missed out..
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    Options
    Would they know I had previously claimed and been paid out if I had been? Would the Records be there? I’m thinking they would know if I had had a previous successful claim wouldn’t they?

Yes, if they had paid out already their records should show it - given what you told them I think you would be safe to accept the payment in "good faith" anyway so they would probably struggle to reclaim it from you (if you were really worried you could just stick the sum in a savings account for a while).
  • Beanikki
    Options
    Sorry I’ve not explained myself very well. I did make a new claim and got the refund but I’m concerned I may have already made a successful claim a few years ago and have been paid twice. Would they make this sort of error or would their records show if I had already claimed in the past? Thanks
  • Beanikki
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I want to use it to pay off my credit card so would rather use it than save it to save the interest on the card but wanted to see what you all thought before I used it. My sensible head says of course they’d know if you had already claimed but the ‘if something can go wrong it will’ saying is in the back of my mind ��
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    There is of course a chance they have made a mistake... it’s impossible to say, however if your original claims were from 4-5 years ago I would hope their record keeping would be sufficient to show.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    Beanikki wrote: »
    Sorry I’ve not explained myself very well. I did make a new claim and got the refund but I’m concerned I may have already made a successful claim a few years ago and have been paid twice. Would they make this sort of error or would their records show if I had already claimed in the past? Thanks
    Their records should be very thorough and it's extremely unlikely they'd pay out twice for the same finance.

I'm afraid this is likely to be something that remains an unconfirmed suspicion, though, unless you want to contact the Bank to check!;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure