£700 loft extension drawings

Hi guys

Wondering if the above is fair.
The drawings need to be copied from another house down the road (basically tracing paper would do it). Only thing that needs to be done is to take measurements and adjust the existing drawings from the neighbors as I need to make sure the house measurements are ok.

I did a loft planning application in the past and got it approved on my own, and tempted to do it myself again - but was hoping to save myself the hassle and was willing to pay up to £400 for this.

Is £700 a really good quote and am I just dreaming in getting it done for £400?

I am based in London zone 2 which never helps with prices (reason why I end up doing a lot of my own DIY and planning).

:T in advance

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you have a copy of the plans and calculations from the "house down the road"?

Who has quoted you £700 and what does this include?

If this is a professional - then adapting plans from another build, managing planning application and then you therefore being covered under their liability insurance it might not be that bad a price.

I am sure someone better qualified than me will be along to comment soon.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Disjoint
    Disjoint Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Do you have a copy of the plans and calculations from the "house down the road"?

Who has quoted you £700 and what does this include?

If this is a professional - then adapting plans from another build, managing planning application and then you therefore being covered under their liability insurance it might not be that bad a price.

I am sure someone better qualified than me will be along to comment soon.

Hi Clive, I have a copy and the calculations.

I got a few quotes, I only asked for measurements and drawings to be re-adjusted. Prices varied from GBP 670 to GBP 1200. I felt it was a bit steep to be honest, although I appreciate the hustle and working as a contractor/freelancer sometimes it's not really worth your time to get out of bed for less than a certain amount. Especially as this involves coming on site to do calculations.

I am about to go in my attic now to do the measurement myself, I am self-employed and left my job so for GBP 700 might as well do it myself!
  • ANDY597
    ANDY597 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Doing a loft conversion self build at present.

Regs may have changed since the neighbours had there's done.

I was in the same boat hoping to copy a neighbours but ended up with architect and structural engineer drawings.

However calcs and regs mean I've ended up with a steel and the correct depth joists not to mention other framing requirements etc etc etc

Hope this helps

I think the cost is fair in comparison to the above architect and SE costs paid
  • What you are willing to pay is neither here nor there, shop around but the price is the price no different to the contractors you will use
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We had a loft done but calcs were included into total cost but broken down as £1200.

Bearing in mind the loads, and structural changes will vary if you are just chucking in some veluxes, or going gable end or dormers.

If house is identical to other one then I see your point, but if its not then might be worth paying for the structural drawings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure