switching incentives for joint accounts

Options
fenwick458
fenwick458 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 14 October 2019 at 11:02PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Is this available for joint accounts, and if so with who?
can you get one incentive for a sole account and one for a joint account from the same bank?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fenwick458 wrote: »
    Is this available for joint accounts, and if so with who?
    can you get one incentive for a sole account and one for a single account from the same bank?
    Q1. I've only ever seen two offers specifically exclude joint accounts. But switching a joint is just throwing money away! See below.

Q2. I'm reading between the lines (because you didn't proof read before posting) but the answer is no.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    You can get an incentive from any bank as long as you switch a joint account to a joint account or sole to sole.
    I think you will only get one incentive per bank per person but check the terms and conditions first to see if you can find any loopholes.
  • Geht_fit
    Options
    I've switched 2 joint accounts this year. Lloyds to HSBC, and Co-op to Barclays. This makes sense for us, as we pay 2 direct debits out of each account. We gained switching bonuses with both accounts.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    Usually you can switch a joint account for an incentive. However, as most offers typically pay only 1 incentive per account AND per person, this will disqualify BOTH account holders from receiving further incentives. The best way to maximise switching incentives is usually to both open a sole account each and switch, receiving 2x incentives total, and once the incentives have been paid subsequently make one of the sole accounts into a joint one.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually you can switch a joint account for an incentive. However, as most offers typically pay only 1 incentive per account AND per person, this will disqualify BOTH account holders from receiving further incentives. The best way to maximise switching incentives is usually to both open a sole account each and switch, receiving 2x incentives total, and once the incentives have been paid subsequently make one of the sole accounts into a joint one.

Note that Lloyds (and maybe others) require a branch visit by both to convert a solo ac to a joint.

Strangely Halifax don't, IIRC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport