Low credit score

Ashley0161
Ashley0161 Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 9 October 2019 at 9:14PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi all....

New to the site and forums , so go easy ...

I’ve just returned from living abroad and my credit file and credit score is almost none existent...

I’ve got a new bank account with Lloyd’s , and a sim only contract with three....but I can’t seem to get anything else... (I’ve done a eligibility checker for credit building credit card) and was told my credit score is to low....

I don’t know what else I can do to get my score up????

Any advice ??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    How long have you been back in the UK?

How long have you lived at your current address?

Have you put yourself on the Electoral Register at your current address?

Ignore your 'credit score' as lenders neither use it nor see it.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's not your score that is too low, bu your history too short. Nothing but a new bank account (the sim only might not show), so a high risk. You need to wait and build some history - which credit building card did you try?
  • Thanks for replying ....I’ve been back since July ...at the address since July ...I have done the electoral roll and they have sent me a letter saying I will be added on the 1st November 2019 .....
  • I did the capital one check, it said credit score to low ...I tried marbles and another one too....all said no 😩
  • Willing2Learn
    Ashley0161 wrote: »
    ...I’ve been back since July ...at the address since July ...I have done the electoral roll and they have sent me a letter saying I will be added on the 1st November 2019 .....
    Be patient. Wait until your registration with ER has been completed and recorded on your three credit files before making any more applications.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• On my credit file now my Lloyd’s bank account is showing and the three contract is showing also ...but that’s it
  • Ok will do thanks ....I’m guessing it will be next year now before it shows on my credit file?

As I was told that the register is updated in December then it takes about 6 weeks for credit ref agency’s to get it and update?
  • Willing2Learn
    Ashley0161 wrote: »
    ...I’m guessing it will be next year now before it shows on my credit file?

As I was told that the register is updated in December then it takes about 6 weeks for credit ref agency’s to get it and update?
    Just keep checking your three credit files from November onward and eventually your ER will be recorded. Once that happens, you should be able to get a card from maybe Lloyds (your bank) or from one of the sub-prime options...(CapitalOne, Aqua, Vanquis)...

I love my job

• Ashley0161
    Ashley0161 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2019 at 9:37PM
    Ok thanks ...patience isn’t my best feature , but I guess I’ll just have to wait ����

The bank wouldn’t even (and still won’t ) add an overdraft to my account ..I’ve read having one but not using it can help build credit score ??
  • Willing2Learn
    You have already got the easy-to-get credit accounts, (your Lloyds current account and your SIM only mobile account. It is easier to get a card than getting an overdraft. And yes, having an overdraft and not using the facility would build positive credit management data on your credit files.

But like I said, you should ignore your score. Just focus on building positive data in your credit file, so that you look more attractive to lenders.

I love my job

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family