New build home rights

Options
Hi,

I just wanted some advice...

I bought a new build home from Erris Homes just over 2 years ago.. in that 2 year period I noticed bubbling of the vinyl, stones underneath and very uneven concrete in my kitchen which over time became very apparent. It was eventually decided that they would replace this which was done while I was at work. The works that were agreed to be completed was that the vinyl flooring would be replaced after the flooring underneath this was levelled and the stones were removed as they were starting to pierce through the floor. The work was completed while I was at work as no one could come over the weekend which is the time I have off. All seemed well until recently I when the exact same issues have reared their head.. the company sent a flooring company out to assess the damage who categorically told me that the work that was done before was substandard and that they hadn’t done anything to the concrete below the vinyl and that this issue would keep happening again and again until the concrete was levelled. I emailed Erris homes to this effect and asked when this could be completed, at this stage, it was outside of the 2 year period that the company allow. To my horror, Erris homes emailed back to say that the flooring company had completely changed their mind and that they thought it was due to a leak?! I’m presuming that this is because the flooring company would have to pay for a job they didn’t do correctly twice before.

Erris homes are now stating that it is past the 2 year period and basically it is my problem but they are willing to pay half towards the repair. My point is that the original issue was reported in the 2 year period, and because they didn’t do the works they should have done, it is not resolved.

I’m wondering if there is anything I can do as I don’t think I should have to pay out for something that should have been resolved the last time round.

Many thanks,

Jenni

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They failed to resolve the issue reported within the time frame and finish the work to an agreed standard.

Likely you will need to go the legal route - kept it factual and on point, escalating through the defined process within CS to do so.

Keep firm and you should get something - don't let them brush you off.
  • thearchitect
    thearchitect Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 October 2019 at 6:13PM
    Options
    Do you mean that the flooring company recommended a self-leveling screed prior to reapplication of the flooring? Likewise I'm a bit puzzled by your references to stones - is this the aggregate within the concrete floor slab?

On a final note, is there a building guarantee, like NHBC?
    Health Warning: I am happy to occasionally comment on building matters on the forum. However it is simply not possible to give comprehensive professional technical advice on an internet forum. Any comments made are therefore only of a general nature to point you in what is hopefully the right direction.
  • AnnoyedNetflixUser
    Options
    Most homes are covered by NHBC, who guarantees your New Build home for 10 years.

Contact them on 0800 035 6422 even if you don't have buildmark cover with them, they can find out and put you through to the correct company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure