Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • djmikeyt
    • By djmikeyt 19th Oct 19, 12:34 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Any tax-effient way of realising salary part paid in shares?
    • #1
    • 19th Oct 19, 12:34 PM
    Any tax-effient way of realising salary part paid in shares? 19th Oct 19 at 12:34 PM
    Part of my salary is paid annually in Admiral employee shares and I get a dividend from them every September. I can also realise the value of the shares by selling them back to the company at their current rate after I have owned them for three years.
    Doing either means that I pay tax on them at the higher rate. Is there any more tax-efficient way of releasing the money held in them rather than taking it out by having it paid into my salary please? For example, am I able to pay any or all of it into my company stakeholder pension? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 19th Oct 19, 5:22 PM
    • 11,380 Posts
    • 11,797 Thanks
    • #2
    • 19th Oct 19, 5:22 PM
    • #2
    • 19th Oct 19, 5:22 PM
    The tax paid on company share schemes depends on the nature of the scheme.

    However, in general, the higher rate tax you pay depends on your total taxable income in the tax year. Pension contributions are non taxable, so any contributions you make will lead to a reduction in tax, including any higher rate tax. It does not matter where the money for the contributions comes from, the fact that it came from selling shares is irrelevent.

    So its not a matter of getting your dividends or share sale proceeds paid into your pension but rather simply increasing your pension contributions by the value of this extra income.

    There are some complications:
    1) You cannot get tax relief on pension contributions beyond your earned income. Usually money made from selling shares is not earned. So if your shares are worth more than your annual salary, after deduction of any other pension contributions you make, it would be sensible to split the sales over more than one year.
    2) Higher rate tax relief can get a bit messy and you may have to complete a tax return to ensure you get it. However if your pension contributions are taken prior to deduction of tax and the share selling transactions are managed through your employer's payroll system everything should be OK.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,402Posts Today

9,025Users online

Martin's Twitter