HB entitled, working FT?

Options
Hello, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend, am clueless about benefits and have had trouble understanding the system. My friend is from another EU country, has been here for one year, has a 16 year old daughter in school and works full time earning a little over minimum wage. The two of them have recently moved to an unfurnished private rented flat from sharing. Is the woman entitled to any benefits for furnishings etc/rent contributions? She earns around £350+/week before tax etc but the rent in this area is high. thanks for any info.

Comments

• Im not sure about the entitled to bit others will be.
    Does she live in a full universal credit area? That will make a difference.
    As for furnishings there is no benefit for this as such and she should have a look on sites like"freegle" and "gumtree"
  • Chooser
    Options
    Hi venison, I believe it is a universal credit area. Do you know if there is such a thing as a comprehensible guide to universal credit?
  • Craig1981
    Options
    based on what you have stated, on old housing benefit rules, she would need to pay rent of around £70pw - rest usually topped up by HB. However, this would be local housing allowance you talking about (LHA), and this varies for each local authority.

so, if a 2 bedroom place in her area has a LHA rate of £500pcm, but her rent is a 3 bed at £800 a month, she would be entitled to rent rebate as if she was paying £500 a month - hope that makes sense the way i have said that

so in this example, she may get some help. there are a lot of other factors to consider

best to use a UC calculator, entering exact wages/rent liability for area etc

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit/How-much-Universal-Credit-will-I-get
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    based on what you have stated, on old housing benefit rules, she would need to pay rent of around £70pw - rest usually topped up by HB. However, this would be local housing allowance you talking about (LHA), and this varies for each local authority.

so, if a 2 bedroom place in her area has a LHA rate of £500pcm, but her rent is a 3 bed at £800 a month, she would be entitled to rent rebate as if she was paying £500 a month - hope that makes sense the way i have said that

so in this example, she may get some help. there are a lot of other factors to consider

best to use a UC calculator, entering exact wages/rent liability for area etc

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit/How-much-Universal-Credit-will-I-get
    Where does it say how many bedrooms the OP has? I can't see where is says any information like that. It says she earns around £350+ per week.
  • Craig1981
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Where does it say how many bedrooms the OP has? I can't see where is says any information like that. It says she earns around £350+ per week.

it doesnt, this was an example i have given to explain it, which is why i said "so in this example..."
  • Chooser
    Options
    Thanks all, complicated business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills