Claim line direct ?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ch1ng0la wrote: »
    I have just been cold called by Claimline direct who had all my details (how) and offered a no claim no fee deal to advance a PPI claim.I signed an e document to agree. Have I been scammed?
    Not "scammed" exactly, but you'll now pay a massive proportion of any redress you might win by employing this firm to use the same free and simple complaint process you could have used yourself.

As for "knowing all your details", knowing your name and address is not difficult for anyone to achieve. If they "knew" which bank(s) you held accounts with then it was probably an educated guess (with leading questions) .
  • Nkana1
    Options
    Thanks. That is very helpful
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jane_P wrote: »
    am angry that there is no where to go to complain and warn others of them

Indeed there is someone you can complain to. Contact the Legal Ombudsman:

Live chat function Mon-Fri between 08:30am and 5:30pm: https://legalombudsman.live-chat-help.com/

Call Mon-Fri between 08:30am-5:30pm on 0300 555 0333 or on minicom 0300 555 1777

Email at cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk

Or write to Legal ombudsman, PO Box 6804, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WG

You can also follow on facebook or twitter @Legal_Ombudsman
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jane_P wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad: I never write on forums but I am so angry I want to shout from the roof about this ????company who claim they have been successful with your PPI claim. They have managed to steal £150 from my wheelchair vulnerable sister and they knew exactly who to target. Makes me sick that these scum bags get away with this fraud and prey on very vulnerable individuals and am angry that there is no where to go to complain and warn others of them

Claims companies do read these forums and will often complain to the site if you use words like "steal" and "fraud". I'd amend your post :)
  • Sueboo
    Options
    DO NOT !- I REPEAT - DO NOT! go with this company.
    They cold called me (Never usually fall for these!!- caught at a vulnerable time, 3 calls in 3 days!!)
    They guaranteed I had PPI !! When I said I didn't have £595 to pay upfront they rang back & reduced the fee to £295 said I still didn't have it just before Xmas so they suggested I put it on my credit card. I explained I didn't want to incur charges & they promised it would only take 3 months max (within my int free period)
    Numerous phone calls, numerous LIES
    numerous times of being fobbed off- Very Very Stressful!!!
    16 MONTHS LATER I have finally recieved my fee back as, as I had originally suspected - I had no PPI to claim.
    DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You paid £295 simply to find out if you had PPI??? :eek:
  • jacquelinm
    Options
    Hi. So pleased you finally received your money back. Was the company Claimline Direct if so I gave them £500 last June so hoping eventually will get mine back. Have chased them on numerous occasions but have been all sorts of excuses. I am such a sensible person, can't believe I gave in and agreed. Have contacted Citizens Advice and the Ombudsman for advice. Regards
  • CrispyCreme
    Options
    In June 2016 a representative of Claimline Direct informed me that he had access to data that proved that I had over £5,000 due back from banks including one bank I do not believe I had ever had any dealings with! All he needed was £495 to get the ball rolling. I questioned him at length as I seriously doubted that I was owed anything. To reassure me he advised that even if for whatever reason no claim could be completed then the £495 would be repaid in full with no quibble. He then went on to say it is best to put the £495 on a credit card as he will ensure all interest charges will be recovered on my behalf. All untrue I'm afraid and guess what the salesman no longer works for them. The reality is in my 58 years on this earth the only people to cost me money under false pretenses is Claimline Direct, not the banks the salesman claimed has been the villains! Fortunately the ombudsman advised me to seek a refund via my credit card company on the grounds that Claimline Direct failed to supply the service they sold me. MasterCard agreed with my complaint within days and reclaimed my money in August 2017, thank you MasterCard. I am now going to pursue Claimline Direct for the outstanding interest incurred during the 13 month fiasco. If any one wants to join me feel free to make contact.
    AVOID Claimline Direct at all cost and go direct to the banks.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In June 2016 a representative of Claimline Direct informed me that he had access to data that proved that I had over £5,000 due back from banks including one bank I do not believe I had ever had any dealings with!

There is no such data and that sort of cold calling is fraudulent. The worst CMCs were doing this years ago and most of them have been shut down.
    ! All he needed was £495 to get the ball rolling.

That upfront £495 seems to be used by all the dodgy schemes over the years. Its a very common figure.
    He then went on to say it is best to put the £495 on a credit card as he will ensure all interest charges will be recovered on my behalf.

Which is something the CMCs used to say but is wrong.
    Fortunately the ombudsman advised me to seek a refund via my credit card company on the grounds that Claimline Direct failed to supply the service they sold me.

There has been limited success on this. It sometimes works but a CMC just needs to initiate the complaint. That is all they do. If they have done that then the service has been provided. If the complaint went to the same card provider that the £495 was paid on, they can easily see that the service was provided or not if they choose to. So, whilst you got your refund, others reading need to be careful, not just about what happened to you but that they may not get the £495 back.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Jilp26
    Options
    Had anyone got their £500 back, I know the company has got into liquidation but have heard absolutely nothing with regard to a refund for my parents!!!!😤
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure