Refund by bank credit instead of gift card

Options
Hi , i ordered a fridge freezer and cooker hood from currys. The fridge freezer wasnt in stock but was expected on the 12th. Delivery arrived yesterday but fridge freezer not due until 4th December. I am due a refund of 752. I have had to purchase item from elsewhere so have requested a refund to my bank rather than gift card as i now have all y kitchen electricals. Ihave emailed them quoting the consumer regulations. They are still refusing to repay by any other method due to the money laundering regulations. Are they correct

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    Options
    detroy wrote: »
    Hi , i ordered a fridge freezer and cooker hood from currys. The fridge freezer wasnt in stock but was expected on the 12th. Delivery arrived yesterday but fridge freezer not due until 4th December. I am due a refund of 752. I have had to purchase item from elsewhere so have requested a refund to my bank rather than gift card as i now have all y kitchen electricals. Ihave emailed them quoting the consumer regulations. They are still refusing to repay by any other method due to the money laundering regulations. Are they correct

If you paid by gift cards then you will get gift cards back.
    How did you pay as you didn't metnion. Also what part of the consumer regulations did you quote?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you paid by gift card then that's the only way they refund you, back to gift card.

The consumer regulations can't help you on this one as what they are doing is correct.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Why would you post this without actually saying how you paid in the first place?
  • detroy
    detroy Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2018 at 2:19PM
    Options
    sorry yes originally paid by gift card
    The trader must give the refund using the same means of payment as the consumer used to pay for the digital content, unless the consumer expressly agrees otherwise.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A: There's no digital content involved, just physical goods. B: That confirms what Currys is doing is correct
  • detroy
    detroy Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    hi trading standards seem to indicate this applies to all refunds, surely a refund is a refund. thank you
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    hi trading standards seem to indicate this applies to all refunds, surely a refund is a refund. thank you

You can't speak direct to Trading Standards, so who have you spoken with?
    Either way they were wrong. You paid with a giftcard, you get a refund to a giftcard.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    sorry yes originally paid by gift card
    The trader must give the refund using the same means of payment as the consumer used to pay for the digital content, unless the consumer expressly agrees otherwise.

You were potentially involved in two entirely separate contracts.
    Assuming that you purchased the gift card then this contract could well class as a digital one and if the retailer breached this contract then they would have to refund you by the same method that you paid with.
    However, this contract was not breached as you paid for a valid gift card and this is what was received and used.

The 2nd contract was the purchase of the fridge freezer and this was breached due to non delivery and due to this, the retailer has to refund you and again, this refund will be in the same way that you paid (gift card).
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Ah, with it being bought with gift cards that’s all they have to refund - sorry. :(
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    no way a store is going to let you pay with gift cards and refund you cash/bank
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure