EON Smart In-home display

bertiewhite
bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
First Post
In April, I asked EON to fit a smart meter and got an in-home display which I have been using to monitor real time usage of electricity usage and historical monthly usage. When it was installed, the fitter explained that although the price displayed alongside usage would be an idea of how much I was using, it would actually be higher due to other costs which made sense.

Now, several months on, I decided to compare what EON says I've used on my online account usage with what the IHD says.

Obviously, I was expecting a difference in cost but the usage in KWh should be the same, I assumed. No, it's wildly different by nearly 500 KWh for last month.

I phoned EON today to ask why my IHD usage differs so much compared to my online account and got told "there is an industry wide issue with IHD's communicating with the meter which means temporary lapses in data capture which all add up to a discrepancy in the reading".

Does anybody else have wildly different readings between online account usage and IHD's? If this is a "known issue" then my IHD might as well be used as a doorstop for all the use it is.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I use my IHD to read the meter and it's exactly the same as the meter display. It stopped sending data to the supplier about four suppliers ago, so I read it myself every month and send the data into my supplier.

However that said, as I record my own info I can check the daily, weekly and monthly historical data that the meter records and stores and it's within a few kwh of my readings.

I guess the discrepancy is because the meter calculates from midnight to midnight, whereas I read my meter at around 8am on Monday mornings and on the 1st day of every month.

TBH I'm more than happy with the meter that I've got (its an Elster with an SSE IHD) and I'd rather not have one of the crappy Secure meters that seem to be hawked around by a lot of the suppliers.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hiya bertiewhite,

This is really going to depend on what sort of In Home Display monitor that you have.

I have to agree with matelodave, discrepancy's like this tend to happen as the meter reads aren't put on to the account at the same time as the IHD updates.

For an accurate picture of what you have used, I would rely on looking at the accurate meter reads that we've used to bill you, as this is what your bills are based on.

There will always be a difference, but I do agree that appears to be a lot.

It might be worth speaking with the smart team, who can go through your account and have more knowledge.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post

It might be worth speaking with the smart team, who can go through your account and have more knowledge.

Helena

Helena, I did speak to the smart team when I phoned up. I was put through to a "smart expert" who gave the explanation of the industry-wide data communication issues between the IHD and the meter. He also told me 4 times that I could check my usage online to which I explained that I already did, which is how I know there is a discrepancy.

My point is - what is the point of having an IHD if it's not working properly. I was checking my usage online prior to getting a smart meter and part of the reason for me getting an IHD is so I can monitor my usage realtime.

Is there an "industry wide" issue with IHD - meter comms or not?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure