Radflek 1000 Free Reflectors - Genuine?

Options
Hi

Can anyone confirm if the Radflek free reflector offer is genuine or merely a way to obtain full contact details of thousands of people interested in energy saving as we enter winter? #handy_that
Every year the free 1000 are gone in seconds. I couldn't have physically entered my details quicker when the link came live and it auto responded @all gone within 38 seconds'. They must have some incredible computers to cope with this volume of applicants within seconds?

Yours truly,

Mr Sceptical :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Probably genuine. The MSE email does go out to hundreds of thousands of people who like you were also trying.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been behind a computer, at the ready twice now, and i've missed it both times. So either its not geuine, or then only give away 5!

Must have missed the recent offer
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bet many will use those utilities that automatically fill in the form details in a flash
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like roboform. Use it a lot but not for this just dont have to keep entering details

I bet many will use those utilities that automatically fill in the form details in a flash
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It may be of interest to readers to appreciate just how little savings are made by radiator reflectors.

On MSE some years ago there were several threads on reflectors including correspondence with the Energy Saving Trust(EST) This is one link: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=68632761&highlight=radiator+reflector#post68632761 but you will need to read the other links to read the full correspondence.

The EST wrote this:
    Radiator reflector panels do generate a small saving. In a typical 3 bedroom semi detached gas heated home they can save around £6 and 30kg CO2 a year if professionally installed, whereas DIY installation would save around £3.50 and 18kg CO2 a year. Individually radiator panel reflectors save on average around £1 and 6kg CO2 per radiator as a DIY installation.

We calculate these savings by collating a number of sources. We use the CERT Technical Guidance to derive the average radiator panel saving
    from the two different installation types; we then apply average number of
    radiators for each house type which is sourced from the Building
    Research Establishment’s ‘Standard Dwellings for Energy Modelling’ (not publically available).

We then applied our own calculated average prices sourced from
    Ofgem data (not publically available) and DEFRA’s GHG Conversion Factors to get financial and CO2 savings.

However when challenged the EST admitted that they had misread the CERT guidance and that those annual savings(i.e. £6 or £3.50 for a whole house) only applied to houses with solid walls i.e. without cavity walls.

To repeat the savings can be measured in pennies per year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure