MSE energy switch - can you switch from BG to BG and still get cashback/boiler cover?

Options
buyitall
buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello,
My current contract expires on 31/10.
MSE energy switch brings up British Gas as one of the cheapest options to 'switch' to. I am happy with the service, and enjoy the 'Rewards' scheme.
However, does anyone know - if I 'switch' to the recommended BG tarif via the MSE page, will I still get cashback, and, more importantly, will I be charged for the boiler cover as I have already had the 'free' cover this year?
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Biscuit_Tin
    Biscuit_Tin Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2019 at 12:07PM
    Options
    buyitall wrote: »
    Hello,
    My current contract expires on 31/10.
    MSE energy switch brings up British Gas as one of the cheapest options to 'switch' to. I am happy with the service, and enjoy the 'Rewards' scheme.
    However, does anyone know - if I 'switch' to the recommended BG tarif via the MSE page, will I still get cashback, and, more importantly, will I be charged for the boiler cover as I have already had the 'free' cover this year?
    Thanks for any advice.

The MSE Cheap Energy Club clearly states whether or not cashback is available to you for all suppliers and tariffs it lists :)

Also, the MSE Cheap Energy Club states:
    IMPORTANT: Homeowners get 'free' boiler and controls breakdown cover for one year if you don't already have it. However, it automatically renews at about £2.50/mth after, even if you leave the tariff – so remember to cancel it if you don't want it.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Worked for me changing from E.ON to MSE E.ON ( BUT they have no penalties for changing tariffs within E.on ) please check with BG first
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Mealyn
    Mealyn Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was with Centrica for years for boiler cover but their prices kept going up and up and they wanted £28 from me and that was after contacting them to negotiate a better price. In the end I cancelled the boiler cover so effectively was no longer a customer. Two months down the line I went with British gas through the energy site here expecting to receive the free cover. A day before my energy went live with BG I received a letter to say I was still a customer so could not have the energy cover. I contacted them to inquire about this and they agreed I was no longer a customer, but, you could not have or renew the cover unless 3 months had passed from the time you were a customer to when you sign up again. I could not fined this information anywhere when I applied for energy . On the Martin Lewis site it just states for new customer only. Couldn't find this 3 months rule anywhere on site. Iunderstand this but I was angered to receive a letter to say I was still a customer so put in a complaint which was dealt with quickly and effectively. Upshot was they gave me the boiler cover so a good outcome but I find the excess fees calling out an engineer rather high so not sure whether I will use it or not. It will depend I suppose on how well my heating system works. Also no free annual boiler check. They are quoting £60 upwards for that! So is the cover really worth it I wonder.
  • Mint_choc2
    Options
    BG wrote to me as I was switching from BG to BG to say I wouldn’t keep the free cover. Also no boiler service included in the price they have just sent me.  Currently trying to decide whether to keep it or not
    Thanks

Mint choc2

Small steps to better things :j:rotfl:
    #26 Saving for Christmas 2020 £90/£366 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business