Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    What?

You mean you're even worse for hanging on to old tut than I am?

:eek::eek::eek:

It is fab.
    Better quality than I could ever buy today.
    Famous last words:eek::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    It is fab.
    Better quality than I could ever buy today.
    Famous last words:eek::rotfl::rotfl:

Tell me more. What makes it so good?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I am just amazed it has lasted so long.
    Bog standard clock radio alarm but I couldent see one I bought today lasting so long.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I am just amazed it has lasted so long.
    Bog standard clock radio alarm but I couldent see one I bought today lasting so long.

A radio usually isn't under much stress. The things to go are usually the electrolytic capacitors. If you were to buy a good brand today using something like Nichicon (or equivalent) caps - they too would last forever.

However most eerily-cheap Chinese made ones will be using Wei Hung Lo or similar made-up names...

It is annoying that in order to decide whether something is decent you have to wait until someone on Youtube takes it apart ("a tear down") and reads out all the names on the components inside.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    It is annoying that in order to decide whether something is decent you have to wait until someone on Youtube takes it apart ("a tear down") and reads out all the names on the components inside.

And here is one of the people I watch who do teardowns, talking about his favourite things: Fairy lights, Poundland, and Chinese Death...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7povdS90Hyg
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He's great! I've only watched a few minutes, and I've got him going right now on another tab. I love him :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    If we're doing "vintage" household items - my Breadboard and breadknife is jokingly referred to as the "family Heirloom" - it was given to Mum & dad when they married - in 1963... :rotfl: It got passed on to me when they decided it was time they had a new one and the knife is still in daily use - the board less so but does still come out occasionally!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ZTD
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    He's great! I've only watched a few minutes, and I've got him going right now on another tab. I love him :)

:rotfl:

A Big-Clive fan! ;)

Look further back in his back catalogue. He does electrical stuff in Edinburgh, so does the Tattoo and the Christmas lights. You pick up all sorts of trivia, usually to do with things failing - sometimes spectacularly...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    If we're doing "vintage" household items - my Breadboard and breadknife is jokingly referred to as the "family Heirloom" - it was given to Mum & dad when they married - in 1963... :rotfl: It got passed on to me when they decided it was time they had a new one and the knife is still in daily use - the board less so but does still come out occasionally!

My mum still has the ironing board she got when she was married in the sixties.

I suppose there's not much to fail for one of those.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Well this morning was nice and picturesque. Winter sunshine, mist hanging low in the valleys, and driving past the stark white wind turbines gracefully harvesting raw subsidy right out of the air.

Now I'm back from work. Theoretically that should be me done for 2017, but undoubtedly I'll virtually pop into work to see if everything is doing OK.

Just the Christmas things to do now. Maybe I should go the Metrocentre tomorrow...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Is everyone else sorted?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport