Regular Payments to meat company

Options
Hi

I am new here and not sure if this is the correct part of the Forum.

I for many years have been paying a regular amount to my favourite meat company online. the deal is that i can buy meat when I want it, and I get a little credit from them as long as I continue paying my DD. I am now in the position that I will be leaving the UK at the end of the year and I have a large balance in my account with them. They say that I may not have this money back except by using it to buy from them.

This company has changed hands a couple of times while I have been their customer and I no longer have the original terms and conditions that I signed up to. I have read the current ones and certainly it says that I may only have the money back by buying meat from them.

Any ideas if this is even legal.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    helgaw51 wrote: »
    Hi

I am new here and not sure if this is the correct part of the Forum.

I for many years have been paying a regular amount to my favourite meat company online. the deal is that i can buy meat when I want it, and I get a little credit from them as long as I continue paying my DD. I am now in the position that I will be leaving the UK at the end of the year and I have a large balance in my account with them. They say that I may not have this money back except by using it to buy from them.

This company has changed hands a couple of times while I have been their customer and I no longer have the original terms and conditions that I signed up to. I have read the current ones and certainly it says that I may only have the money back by buying meat from them.

Any ideas if this is even legal.

You have been getting promotional credit on the basis that you top up the account. I assume you have used this credit frequently?

I'd imagine its entirely legal. I'd liken it to getting free texts if you top up £10 a month, then demanding all your top up money back after the fact, despite using the free texts.
  • helgaw51
    Options
    I use it as a way of budgeting for the meat that I buy 3 times a year. The money sits in their account and if I buy more then what is in their account I have to pay the extra. I am leaving the country so will not be able to use the money that is sitting in my account on their website. It is a sizeable chunk of money that i cannot afford to lose.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I understand that you use this money to buy meat. That was not what I was asking.

You said you get 'credit' for this DD method. How much 'extra credit' have you used?

If they do agree to a refund, they would be entirely within their rights to deduct any extra credit you have had from that refund.
  • helgaw51
    Options
    Very little never more then £25 and that is paid of by the next DD payment - usually only use what is already there as I hate being in debt.
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    So how much is large balance?

if it were me go round my buddys see who wants any meat order it and sell :)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm guessing you're still not understanding the question? (Unless it is me misunderstanding what MP is asking):

A batch of meat costs £100
    If you pay in advance by DD you get £100 of meat for £90, therefore £10 "credit"

How much saving ("credit") have you made whilst having this arrangement? That's what they'd be entitled to deduct from any refund (IF they agreed to refund - you should really try and find the original T&Cs.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    helgaw51 wrote: »
    Very little never more then £25 and that is paid of by the next DD payment - usually only use what is already there as I hate being in debt.

The contract you signed says you can only use the money to buy meat from them, so that's what you agreed to - to use the money to buy their meat.

What does it say about terminating the contract?
  • marliepanda
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're still not understanding the question? (Unless it is me misunderstanding what MP is asking):

A batch of meat costs £100
    If you pay in advance by DD you get £100 of meat for £90, therefore £10 "credit"

How much saving ("credit") have you made whilst having this arrangement? That's what they'd be entitled to deduct from any refund (IF they agreed to refund - you should really try and find the original T&Cs.

Yeah I'm assuming they don't actually 'get' anything. I was assuming its like a *ahem* beer subscription I have where my DD gets topped up by 10% as long as I keep it up.

I think they just mean they lend them some money briefly...
  • helgaw51
    Options
    I get nothing extra, they do not give me anything extra on the order. I pay the market price for the meat, if on one occasion a I say buy 100 of meat I pay 100, if I have 90 in my account they let me have because next payment it will be paid off. if I have 100 in my account and I buy 90 pounds, I have 10 left in my account. I am now looking at financial laws re keeping peoples money - because my Electric account gives me money back if there is too much sitting in their account from my DDs and top of that they have been known to give me interest (although not always) The meat company is in effect working as a banker and should be regulated. Certainly our business is not allowed to sit on other peoples money because we should be regulated if do (we are in tea)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    1. How much money is in this account?
    2. How much is your DD each week or month?
    3. Have you cancelled your DD? if not when are you planning on doing so.

4. Ask around family / neighbours etc and see if they want any meat, you buy it, and then ask them for the cash.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills