PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mended: 1pair of leggings, 1 pair of tights, 2 pyjama jackets. They had small holes from: overstretching, touching a bit of wood, touching the bathroom lock, and faulty sewing of a label.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • crazytree
    crazytree Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Have thrown away my old work jeans and some joggers so I needed some more trousers! Went into Pr#mark to buy some new jeans but they didn t have my size in any that weren t pre ripped. I ended up buying two better quality pairs in a charity shop for £5. Half the price of one pair from Pr#mark!!!!!

I am amazed that the spring onions and parsley in the garden that survived from last summer have also survived the snow! I shall keep using them while I plan what to grow this year!

Planning on using my day off today to make a Mothers Day card. I've still loads of craft materials left to use up. No idea about presents though. Mum has been on a diet since 1978, got jewellery for Christmas, and toiletries for her last birthday!!! She is also out of the country for a few weeks around the day itself.

I am also going to spend half an hour removing the obvious junk from the spare rooms and if it stops raining take a bag to the charity shop. I've left the decluttering for ages and I need to start making some progress now that my motivation has come back.

Tx
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slowly making do and minimising freezer stocks.- no mend but finished sewing the Dodgers for my boat after getting my sewing machine repaired.
    I've got a lot of mending and minimising to do in the garden though! Supports for my blackberry and loganberries has taken a battering so need to sort them and give them a feed and start planning the veg growing!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • skintmumof3
    skintmumof3 Posts: 803 Forumite
    Options
    I refilled an empty reed diffuser with some cheap unwanted aftershave......
    Its really effective and the porch now smells lovely
    hth
    x
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure if I already posted about this. but we minimised a lot of hubby's clothes at the weekend so they can go to the cs.

Make do - for dinner yesterday I used some tuna steaks which have been in the freezer for months and months, leftover mushroom sauce as I'd used too much for the batch-cooked lunches I'd done last weekend, and leftover mashed potato from a dinner earlier in the week. A very money saving dinner! :money:
  • silvasava
    Options
    Made fajitas for dinner last night with chicken from freezer. DH did too many potatoes the night before so I mashed the leftovers and added some diced onion from freezer and a tin of corned beef cut in cubes. It made two dishes for us & I topped it with some grated cheese. They will be handy for a quick meal. Admin to do today and a pair of DH's overalls on the mending pile.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • crazytree
    crazytree Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    What are Dodgers please Silvasava?
    I've got loads to do in the garden too, it was easier to ignore when it was covered with snow!
    Tx
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Skint mum: you can also make your own reed diffusers and upcycle old glass jars with narrow openings. You just need distilled water, vodka or jojoba or almond oil, essential oils and rattan sticks. if ever I get some perfume as a gift and don't like wearing it I put some reed sticks into the bottle and use as a reed diffuser, I hate waste.

mended two necklaces as the clasps had come loose. minimised three bags to the charity shop, a bag of recycling and two cardboard boxes that were too big to reuse. Making do with food from the freezer using odds and ends. It annoys me when someone else opens a bag of chips even though there is one already just opened a few days before.

Community bingo tomorrow £3.30 for 14 games and passes 2 1/2 hours and you also get a free tea or coffee and biscuits with sometimes a cake. A few more free events have been organised by the committee: weekly tai chi classes, monthly choir, quiz night, games night, coffee morning 30p for a cup of tea or 35p for coffee with free biscuits, photography class, easter egg raffle with free refreshments. So a fair few activities that are free which will save me some money.:j
  • silvasava
    Options
    Crazytree - sorry - Dodgers are the canvas windbreaks that fit on the sides of sailing boats at the stern to help keep the wind and spray off the crew. Luckily I've only got a small boat so mine are only about 3ft long.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    :hello:

Make do: food from the freezer & food cupboard & lots of baking

Mend: new batteries in torch - bit of a stretch:rotfl:

Minimise: old furniture SHOULD be off the drive tomorrow if the council keep their word:rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure