SSE Energy, Changing Meters

Options
Hi all,

There is a multi-rate meter (with 3 different rates) installed in my flat. One weekday rate, one night/other times rate and a storage heating/hot water rate. I spoke to SSE around Christmas time and enquired about possibly getting an Economy 7 meter installed and at the time they said it was free.

I’ve spoken to them again today. They asked me whether I was renting and I said that my family own the property and that I was renting from a family member. When I asked if them again if it was free to change the meter to an Economy 7 one, they sort of changed their tune and said it is free but I may have to hire an electrician to do the re-wiring. I thought that if one of their engineers came out to install an Economy 7 meter then they would sort out the re-wiring with the meter. Am I wrong? Is it true what they’re saying? If this was the case then surely the guy that I spoke to initially should have mentioned about possible costs for re-wiring. But he just said to me that changing the meter was free of charge.

They knew that I wanted to leave them for another energy provider just before Christmas but unfortunately it wasn’t compatible so I ended up staying with SSE.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

J

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    They will change the meter, but your consumer unit(s) wiring may need to be changed depending on how your circuits are arranged
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • SKINNYCOW
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I assumed that one of their engineers would sort out the re-wiring as that’s the whole point of getting a new meter installed. The original meter was installed by SSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure