Quick question on understanding language in a will

Options
I have had some helpful advice recently regarding my grandmother's will - thank you! - and have what I hope is a final quick question.

Quick recap - very simple estate, only one bank account, no property, no physical assets, no debt. Have heard from all relevant government departments and have only one bill left to pay, which is a week's pension that was overpaid - just waiting for paperwork. Otherwise, all done.

I picked up the original will today, but some of the wording confused me and I wonder if anyone could reassure me that it is just legal speak and not anything else that I have to consider? It mentions the money being 'in trust' - here is the full wording:

"I give all of my estate (out of which shall be paid my funeral and testamentary expenses and my debts) and any property over which I have at my death any general power of appointment to my trustees to hold such property and the property which currently represents it (the 'Trust Fund') upon the trusts and with subjects to the powers and provisions of this will.

My trustees shall hold the Trust Fund ON TRUST absolutely for my daughter the said XXX if she survives me or if she dies before me but leaves a child or children alive at my death then for such child or children and if more than one in equal shares"

My mother was the daughter named but she did indeed die before my grandmother and so I understand that the money passes to me and my brothers and sister (Mum was an only child). But the bit about the Trust Fund (and the fact it's in capitals) has thrown me a bit - is there something else I need to do before splitting the money? My mother was in her 60's when the will was written and me and my siblings in our 30's and 40's so not young children, which is what I assumed trusts were for.

I am assuming that this is just legal terminology but wonder if anyone more knowledgeable than me can confirm.

Many thanks.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family