Lactose-Intolerant moneysaving

Options
coffeehound
coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 22 February 2019 at 10:48AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Recently self-diagnosed (only took 50 years to work it out...).

Any other L-I posters out there? Do you have any advice for a newcomer to the tribe, please?

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tesco own free from soya yoghurts are cheaper than Alpro unless there's a promo.
    They also have a very nice own brand lactose free blue cheese.(sadly not that cheap!)

Aldi have Manchego & Greek feta- both made with sheep/goats milk.
    I think I saw lactose free milk in there yesterday
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Dia_Pita
    Options
    Hi Soya milk at Aldi is better than Alpro and cheaper, ginger biscuits at Sainsburys are vegan so have no cows milk in them. Sainsburys also have vegan wholemeal bread. Vitalight dairy free spread is best at Sainsburys and Asda.
    Basically look for anything vegan in processed food as it will not contain cows milk.

Debt Free Aug 15 :)Mortgage Free Aug 16 :j
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• coffeehound
    Options
    Thank you, very good news there on several fronts. I didn’t know one can get cows milk that is lactose-free. Much as I like the vegetable milks on cereals, there is something missing when they are in coffee. Also L-F cheese? Again, didn’t know they are available so that’s really good to know. Also a dairy free spread will be preferable to coconut fat in sandwiches. Going out for my first L-F shop and feeling a bit more positive now, many thanks :)
  • Katiehound
    Options
    There are some lactose free cheeses available.
    Personally I give soya 'cheeses' a wide berth- they are rather a strange taste.

I find goats and sheep's milk cheeses to be fine- it's cows milk that is the culprit, so maybe try one and see how you fare.Again check the product- bog standard Feta cheese usually isn't the genuine article as it is made from cows milk! Aldi has the real macoy.

For spread I like 'Pure' soya or sunflower. Do be aware that spreads that are olive oil based etc contain milk products! It is very much a case of reading the small print- as before.

Alpro makes a good range of yoghurts, longlife choccy puddings etc. Free from ranges in supermarkets have dairy free items.

You won't go hungry! (Soya ice cream is nice or sorbet for a treat)
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have coffee with milk, make sure you get milk which is OK with hot drinks as some can curdle! Alpro works well and Almond Breeze work well. I've tried a few supermarket ranges and although almond milk generally works well, some oat milks and soya milks don't. For this reason don't buy in bulk; test things out first.

In terms of finding a suitable milk to replace dairy with, I mix mine and find the best comparison I've made up was when I mixed almond milk with oat milk. The milk wasn't identical to dairy but was the closest I could find.

If your symptoms are all digestive (happening in your stomach and gut) don't bother with the "lacto free" type milks, they work well for nasal symtoms but not digestive symptoms- they even make this clear on the container. It could be you have an intolerance to dairy and not (just) lactose, they are not the same thing.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    For me Oatly is the best in tea/coffee!! Definitely try that! Also see if you can get Lactase tablets - they'll be useful for when you're eating out :-) they sell them at Holland and Barett, they're quite pricey but they last a long time (:
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have got Sunflower Spread from Tesco's at the moment which happens to be vegan.

Some of the Green & Blacks chocolate is vegan. If I remember correctly Jaffa cakes are LF as well.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Thanks folks, this is all really helpful info.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Just to mention that Costa now offer Arla lactose-free milk for coffee -- is this the first cafe chain to offer it?
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Aldi have just started to stock Alpro plain (but sweetened) yoghurts @£1.19
    Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure