Lactose-Intolerant moneysaving

Options
2»

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have tea or coffee without sugar usually, then beware the soya/nut based milks and really check their ingredients for sucrose/glucose/fructose based sweetening. Otherwise you will be turning your regular drink into a dental bomb.

Drinking tea/coffee regularly with no sugar or using artificial sweeteners will not cause dental decay, but adding a sweetened milk alternative to it will suddenly change all that, and all of a sudden you'll be spending longer in the dental chair, with the accompanying big bills that will go with it.

Use unsweetened alternatives, or really control your intake of these drinks, and restrict them to mealtimes.

If you drink tea/coffee with sugar in - then it won't make much difference what you put in, but you'll probably be used to having loads of dental work anyway :o
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I normally use Biocare Prolactazyme Plus as there is dairy in so many things. For me, I use it after (or before) taking body temperature food/drink. It doesn't work if the food is above 45 degrees C nor below 20 degrees C. So I wouldn't have a meal, have the capsule then either have coffee or ice cream. The instructions say it is good all day, but I take one after each meal. And for me it works for an hour after taking it i.e. I can continue to take dairy for 1hr after taking the capsule.

I also have Holland and Barrett lactase. I don't have as much experience with this as it is my backup solution. But I follow the rules above with both.

You can also get liquid lactase from Biocare. I put 4 drops in 2 pints of milk and then 24hrs laters it is good to go. This is cheaper than buying the lacto free milk from the supermarket.

HTH.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Thanks all, this is all really useful infoz. I'll definitely be looking into those products, Ir1277, to make life in the outside world easier.
  • Tolteca87
    Tolteca87 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are Lactase pills on Amazon which also work even with ice cream and are easy to get.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Can you get it confirmed with a proper medical diagnosis? Just in case there’s something else going on?
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy cows milk that is lactase free
    I also make almond, coconut or cashew milk which is a lot better than the ones you buy in the shops - chemical free
    Only thing is that by being home made, they only last for at least 3 days.
    Don't like soy milk or anything to do with soy.
    The recipes for almond, coconut or cashew milk can be found by doing a google search.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know this is a fairly old thread but I just wanted to add that something marked vegan isn't necessarily going to be 100% lactose free all of the time. Most vegans are okay with the possibility of unintentional cross-contamination e.g. if milk is used in the same factory as an otherwise vegan food, they'd still consider it vegan. While some do disagree, this is the position adopted by the Vegan Society (who defined veganism). Some supermarkets and brands won't mark an item as vegan if there is a 'may contain milk' warning on it, but the Vegan Society do and I think more brands are going the same way.

It's probably not an issue for those who can tolerate a little lactose but something to watch out for those who are more sensitive or those with an allergy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure