gas and electric help

Options
concerned mam enquiring for daughter who moved into a 2 up 2 down house and rents from private landlord. on moving in 2016,daughter was told energy suppliers where Scottish power,so set up a direct debit.Feb 2018 received a outstanding bill from spark energy,which has been getting higher as the months go on. stressed out daughter has made numerous phone calls and got no where. we visited citizen advice this week,they made numerous calls etc, we have found out letting agent changed suppliers the day she moved in and obviously didn't inform my daughter or landlord(landlord wasn't shown little tick box to opt out of switch). been to discuss this matter with letting agency, they have said that £1.800 of debt will be written off but have to pay the outstanding money to spark energy as they have been supplying, but why should my daughter have an outstanding debt that she wasn't aware of?? and she still hasn't received a final amount from spark as all bills they sent conflicted with each other. can someone please offer any advice before I burst a blood vessel lol.

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she was informed that SP were the supplier when she moved in and has been paying them by DD ever since then SP must acknowledge that they are the supplier.

She needs to write to SP and complain that Spark have done what looks like an erroneous transfer and ask that they take back the supply and put her back on the agreed tariff from day 1.

I don't think agents should be allowed to switch energy - they do it because Spark pay the agents commission to do the switch - how can they switch when they are not owners or tenants?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Have Scottish Power been taking the DD daughter set up? Have they sent any correspondence?

how can they switch when they are not owners or tenants?

This has been discussed many times. If I knew your address I could ring up British Gas and switch you to their standard tariff and you would know nothing about it until BG or the losing company wrote to you.

Agents act for owners and many of them switch suppliers(for commission) between tenants. Some agents become 'salesmen' - for a company we shouldn't mention in threads - and get commission for years.
  • concerned_mamm
    Options
    sp have been taking direct debit payments since moving in with no account being on there system, she's logged complaint,and still waiting for check refund. she would have never chose spark energy as her supplier. we will be visiting letting agency again tomorrow.
  • concerned_mamm
    Options
    daughter has had no correspondence from moving into property in Aug 2016 from either company until Feb this year when spark have demanded money,which has grown to nearly £4000 in 18 months?? really?? 2 up,2 down property, no shower,no tumble dryer, works 12 hour shifts,never in really. just doesn't make sense to me.
  • concerned_mamm
    Options
    I have even discussed this matter with landlord, he has given his 100% backing,he was not made aware of an opt out box of the switch,which letting agency do on his behalf, hence why landlord said energy provider was sp.
    does my daughter really have to pay this debt when she hasn't created it?? neither supplier is trustworthy in my book,or the letting agency, do people not tell the truth no more?
  • Hi concerned mamm

I'm sorry to hear about this.

I'd be happy to look at your daughter's case if she drops me a line to the email address in my profile.

I'd just need her to confirm her full name and the full supply address.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    concerned mam enquiring for daughter who moved into a 2 up 2 down house and rents from private landlord. on moving in 2016,daughter was told energy suppliers where Scottish power,so set up a direct debit.Feb 2018 received a outstanding bill from spark energy,which has been getting higher as the months go on. stressed out daughter has made numerous phone calls and got no where. we visited citizen advice this week,they made numerous calls etc, we have found out letting agent changed suppliers the day she moved in and obviously didn't inform my daughter or landlord(landlord wasn't shown little tick box to opt out of switch). been to discuss this matter with letting agency, they have said that £1.800 of debt will be written off but have to pay the outstanding money to spark energy as they have been supplying, but why should my daughter have an outstanding debt that she wasn't aware of?? and she still hasn't received a final amount from spark as all bills they sent conflicted with each other. can someone please offer any advice before I burst a blood vessel lol.

Hi concerned mamm

I can certainly look into this for your daughter and get to the bottom of the DD payments she has been making.

you can email me at Social@scottishpower.com with the following information-
    your MSE handle in the subject heading
    your daughters full address
    your daughters name and telephone number
    and some details of the issues you have encountered

Kind Regards
    Danielle
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • concerned_mamm
    Options
    Hi Jenny,I've sent you an email. Thanks concerned mam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills