Northern Rail are terrible.

Options
Just be warned - I made a delay repay complaint to northern rail 5 weeks ago explaining how they terminated my train and i ended up missing my flight. The customer service team have just replied to me today acknowledging my complaint and asking me for a photo of my ticket. It was 5 weeks ago so of course I no longer have it. The customer service team are obviously understaffed and unprofessional and do not want to process any kind of good will or compensation. I will be paying the extra for taxis in future as this is around the third time my train has terminated with no warning . Bad going northern rail - step it up!!

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just be warned - I made a delay repay complaint to northern rail 5 weeks ago explaining how they terminated my train and i ended up missing my flight. The customer service team have just replied to me today acknowledging my complaint and asking me for a photo of my ticket. It was 5 weeks ago so of course I no longer have it. The customer service team are obviously understaffed and unprofessional and do not want to process any kind of good will or compensation. I will be paying the extra for taxis in future as this is around the third time my train has terminated with no warning . Bad going northern rail - step it up!!

I think they are well within their right to ask for that really, as how else can they be sure that you're not just a chancer who wasn't really on the train?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 March 2018 at 10:55AM
    Options

So when you made your claim what ticket details did you provide ? The last one I made (albeit for Cross Country, not Northern) required a scan/pic of the ticket in order to submit. Surely if you knew you were going to claim the least you could do is retain the ticket ?
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always send a pic of the ticket when I first email. I wouldn't expect a refund without it.

You've told us nothing that suggests they are unprofessional, and the delay in replying is probably due to the shocking weather we've had recently.

When going to the airport via public transport always add a good amount of time to account for possible delays, as well as ensuring your insurance covers you for an alternative flight.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Rail companies get and do deserve some bad press, but they are correct in how they are dealing with this.

Without a ticket you can't make a valid 'delay repay' claim so it will get rejected.

You can see why. How do you prove you were on a train if you don't have the ticket?

I've done a few Northern Claims - photo of ticket sent as an attachment to online system. It has always taken ages to get a refund, but so far all have been successful.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Presumably the price of the train ticket is a tiny proportion of your total loss due to missing the flight... hope you were insured.

Anyway, in this situation you should let the staff know: the usual response is to get you into a taxi (at their expense) and off to the airport.

I agree with the others that it is reasonable for them to require your ticket (or a copy of it) to process your claim.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've just done a trip with Northern - Sheffield Meadowhall to Doncaster - one stop. Stopped outside Doncaster as it was running about 6 minutes early and had to wait for a platform. Arrived 4 minutes late... Had to run for my connection to London!
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you submit your delay repay claim through their website you have to upload a photo of the ticket.

If you print off their form and fill it in manually you have to attach the actual ticket.

And 'of course' you'd keep the ticket in case there was a problem with the claim.

And 'of course' you'd have travel insurance.

And 'of course' you'd factor in the potential for delays whatever mode of transport you pick to get to the airport.

Thanks for the warning, though I'm not sure what it is you're warning us about.
  • NickyYo
    Options
    I think you should check the northern fail app out, it gives you live and historic statistics on cancellations. northernfailapp.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure