60+ oyster on gatwick express

Options
i have a 60+ oyster card. Im travelling from brentford to gatwick by train. I have been told i cannot use my oyster all the way to Gatwick. I apparently have to buy a rail ticket for the last 3 or 4 stops. does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks. BarryDH

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Below is the latest 60+ map so I would say that what you have been told is correct and it looks like Brentwood is also not on the map

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/60_map.pdf
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    it looks like Brentwood is also not on the map
    No, you can travel to Brentwood with the 60+ oyster, but only on TfL Rail, you're not able to use a Greater Anglia service (on the rare occasions they stop at Brentwood!).
  • barrydh
    barrydh Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    brentford not brentwood
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry..... at my age eyesight is not what it used to be :0(
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    The only stop where the Oyster 60+ is still valid is East Croydon, so you'll need a ticket from there.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    The only stop where the Oyster 60+ is still valid is East Croydon, so you'll need a ticket from there.

Depending on which train, Coulsdon South might be the last stop. Or even Victoria if they travel on the Express!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get a normal train to Gatwick which takes about 10 minutes longer than the GE and costs considerably less
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on which train, Coulsdon South might be the last stop. Or even Victoria if they travel on the Express!
    OP specifically stated using the Gatwick Express, none of which stop at Coulsdon South, and all of which stop at East Croydon. If using a stopping train, then yes, Coulsdon South is the boundary point.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,652 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 4:54PM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    OP specifically stated using the Gatwick Express, none of which stop at Coulsdon South, and all of which stop at East Croydon.
    Not according to the Gatwick Express website.
    Apparently no Gatwick Express trains stop at either East Croydon or Coulsdon South:
    Gatwick Express is a non-stop train between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport.
    But that doesn't matter, as when using that particular combination of tickets the train does not have to stop at the changeover station.

Condition 14.2 of The National Rail Conditions of Travel explains:
    14.2 If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.
    Thus a ticket from Coulsdon South to Gatwick is acceptable on any train from London to Gatwick that passes through Coulsdon South when used in combination with a 60+ oyster card.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As mentioned above you will need a ticket from East Croydon. You can buy a zone 6 extension at the ticket office before you travel. And yes. Take the ordinary train. I don't think 60+ cards or freedom passes are valid on the Gatwick Express for even part of the journey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure