When to claim PIP

Options
Please help!

My stepdaughters DLA runs out on her sixteenth birthday (for the sake of argument the 31/12/2018)

I know I have to claim PIP after this date but when and howdo we claim? Do they send a letter and form out in September or do we have to ring in advance, if so how far in advance?

Thanks
The World come on.....

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Mr_Falling_Star
    Mr_Falling_Star Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »

Thanks

But am I to expect a letter, a form, do I need make a phone call. In a ideal world I would like the claim to go seamlessly from DLA to PIP on her 16th birthday

To do this I am guessing you would need to claim PIP two or three months in advance?
    The World come on.....
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As it says in the link that Alice provided DWP will write to you "inviting you" to claim PIP
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The letter will be sent sometime around her 16th birthday.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Thanks

But am I to expect a letter, a form, do I need make a phone call. In a ideal world I would like the claim to go seamlessly from DLA to PIP on her 16th birthday

To do this I am guessing you would need to claim PIP two or three months in advance?

No need to guess if you have read the link I provided.
    "You will be asked to make a claim for PIP when....you turn 16"
    The DWP will write and invite your daughter to make a PIP claim.
    "You will not automatically move over to PIP. You will get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions asking you to make a new claim."
    It is not seamless.
    She will need to complete a PIP2 form, otherwise her benefit will stop.
    It would be advisable for her to get help in completing the PIP form. It is a very different benefit to DLA.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please help!

My stepdaughters DLA runs out on her sixteenth birthday (for the sake of argument the 31/12/2018)

I know I have to claim PIP after this date but when and howdo we claim? Do they send a letter and form out in September or do we have to ring in advance, if so how far in advance?

Thanks

We've just been through this for my son; they contacted us well in advance at each stage and so far everything has gone smoothly (waiting on a decision so that may change!). It was explained to me that DLA is paid until the 16th birthday and then PIP take over payments and continue them (at the DLA amount) until their assessment is complete. Personally I found the PIP form easier to fill in than the DLA one but I don't know if my son's problems are just easier to explain with this type of assessment or if I'm just more used to doing forms now. But I had excellent help on here and was signposted to lots of useful guides.

Our final DLA payment was slightly less than usual because they paid up to his 16th birthday so it was a three week payment rather than a four week; this was then adjusted when PIP took over payments so we didn't lose any money, it just came through in a slightly different way :)
  • poppy12345
    Options
    LocoLoco wrote: »
    We've just been through this for my son; they contacted us well in advance at each stage and so far everything has gone smoothly (waiting on a decision so that may change!). It was explained to me that DLA is paid until the 16th birthday and then PIP take over payments and continue them (at the DLA amount) until their assessment is complete. Personally I found the PIP form easier to fill in than the DLA one but I don't know if my son's problems are just easier to explain with this type of assessment or if I'm just more used to doing forms now. But I had excellent help on here and was signposted to lots of useful guides.

Our final DLA payment was slightly less than usual because they paid up to his 16th birthday so it was a three week payment rather than a four week; this was then adjusted when PIP took over payments so we didn't lose any money, it just came through in a slightly different way :)
    This is incorrect. DLA will continue to be paid from DLA until a decision has been made on the PIP. Once a decision is made DLA will continue to be paid for 4 weeks. If PIP is successful then payments start 4 weeks after the decision is made.
  • Mr_Falling_Star
    Mr_Falling_Star Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    This is incorrect. DLA will continue to be paid from DLA until a decision has been made on the PIP. Once a decision is made DLA will continue to be paid for 4 weeks. If PIP is successful then payments start 4 weeks after the decision is made.

Even if the DLA award finishes on their sixteenth birthday?
    The World come on.....
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »

Hi, yes, what I was told is that the DLA is still paid but it's the PIP department that take over paying it from the date of the 16th birthday until they make a decision on the claim.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Even if the DLA award finishes on their sixteenth birthday?
    It will continue to be paid until a decision is made on the PIP, providing you apply once you receive that letter and the forms are received within the time frame. You can ask for an extra 14 days to return those forms if you don't have enough of time.

You also need to make sure that all the evidence is sent with the forms. The onus is on the claimant to do this because they very rarely contact anyone for evidence.

All the PIP descriptors are here.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

PIP self test here but it's only a guide.
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

As stated PIP and DLA are different, therefore it would help if you looked at those descriptors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure