Damn Scottish Power annual energy assesment!

Options
I am incensed with Scottish Power!

I switched to them from London Energy which took my monthly payments down from £31 to £28, not a huge saving but every little helps right?

I was with LE for years and the £31 pmonth always covered my usage and occasionally left me in credit. i missed one payment with SP which i paid by credit card however they then upped my payments to £39.50 pm (following an annual energy assesment based mostly on estimates from what i can see) and i moved to capped elec

i then received another annual energy assessment upping my payments to £52 pm MY WINTER usage is not even anywhere near 352 pm never mind my summer usage, i am in arrears of £14.52 which in itself would not justify charging me £52 pm. i am in a tiny one bed flat no dishwasher or tumble dryer etc and i never have my heating on i am also on econ 7 so i am stumped as to the reason for this hike!

any advice appreciated i am sick fed up of ananlysing my electricity usage and bills etc!!!

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,885 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First step, check you meter readings are correct. If they are working on estimates your bill might be wildly out.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • FieryBlondeScot
    Options
    another continued rant now! when i got the £56pm shock i heaved out alllll my old eleccy bills n done all sorts of analysis on it just phoned them and my meter was last read on 6 june 2005 so have to give em my proper reading, they were basing it on estimates so now of course i am angry that they can do that!!! just suddenly switch ur amounts based on THEIR estimates! course i am also angry that i was too angry to see the 'estimated bill' bit on the front of the letter he he

god wheres the jd n coke!
  • icequeeniecash
    Options
    Hi there, I didn't notice this thread when I posted one of my own a wee while ago but I have just got a letter through from SP and called and was fobbed off and offered £4.50 off per month. Last winter I was paying £24ish per month DD and only owed them £21 by May2005, that was with my heating on day and night sometimes over the winter, now going into this winter they want to charge me £49.50 per month. I am £58.27 in credit with them. They weren't really very helpful on the phone, the girl explained how they worked it out but this still doesn't justify my heating bills doubling since last year. Angry? Me? Blinkin' right.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    any advice appreciated i am sick fed up of ananlysing my electricity usage and bills etc!!!

Well, in a similar situation with Scot Power a few months ago, I told them where to stick their service. Unless you're on a capped deal, use one of Martin's recommended comparison services and go elsewhere - oh, and make sure that Scottish Power know exactly why.

They don't appear willing to listen to logic/records of power usage etc - "the computer says no" and their customer services staff don't appear to have the ability/motivation to amend what the system dictates the monthly payment should be (although at the time I had issues, other people did have success in changing their payments).

The bottom line is that they're trying to get your account predominately in credit so they get the benefit of fixed payments across the year, rather than it being a balance of debt/credit across the year. Call me awkward, but I prefer money to be in my bank earning me interest rather than their's.

For my own case, I can prove that I was right. According to SP I was massively in debt in late summer hence my payments had to nearly double. Because of the terrible latency in how long it takes to switch supplier, my supply only changed in Sept/Oct, after I'd had to make a couple of the amended payments to SP. Suffice to say they've just had to issue me with a repayment cheque of £115, representing the amount my account had gone in credit in the meantime...
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • Capyboppy
    Capyboppy Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A similar thing happened with me too which I posted about a while back. When I signed up with them about 15 months ago, I was chuffed that my payments would be £8 a month lower. In fact I asked them to keep it slightly higher to allow for any extra bad weather, so was paying £40 dual fuel a month. A few months later I had a re-estimate bill and went into shock. They wanted to adjust it to £65 a month. When I rang them up the gist of it was, that they were basing it on the winter usage rather than all the year round. I said why are they not doing it like most utility companies and averaging out. They said they were but couldn't explain satisfactorily why they were basing it on the winter usage. I persuaded them to keep it at the £40 and if I though I would get behind I would alter the payments. For some weird reason at the anniversary date in August it still came to my being in arrears to the tune of £140. I asked them why this was when I had gone totally on what the rep had calculated my savings to be. (I would have kept my payments at the higher rate if I had known. They said my usage must have been much higher than estimated. (very strange when it has been consistant to within £3-£4 a month either way for all these years. Along with the newly estimated higher bill I would have to pay the arrears off on top. I asked if I could do this myself by making extra payments as and when I could afford them, but they told me no, I would have to pay a minimum of £60 a month. After spending to long on the phone with them I resigned myself to this worrying fact. The next thing I had was another letter saying my payments would not be changing for the coming year! Of course knowing I am behind I have registered with their site online and I am paying this off bit by bit anyway. Seems their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    This has been said many times.

Direct Debit payments can have little relevance to your consumption.

The only way to estimate how much you need to pay by direct debit is to look at your consumption per year and work out your annual bill.
  • Capyboppy
    Options
    I seem to remember that when I queried how he could estimate the payment it was something along the lines of the following: He said that the calculator contraption he had in his hand calculated all the different rates from the different companies. When I said, "But different companies have different ways of doing things such as some have standing charges, others don't, others have it tiered etc" he said that all that was allowed for in the calculations. I must admit it did seem a bit far fetched, but with technology moving on like it does I thought maybe. After hearing so many similar stories it seems it is a popular policy of theirs to try and get customers to be in credit, or pay extra payments based on their winter usage, so they can bank the interest. At the moment there is no point in me looking elsewhere as I am capped until 2007, unless of course fuel prices drop dramatically, but I guess there is no chance of that happening for a while.
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote:
    Direct Debit payments can have little relevance to your consumption.

The only way to estimate how much you need to pay by direct debit is to look at your consumption per year and work out your annual bill.

Yes, but you're missing the point here. I've come across quite a few Scottish Power customers who at the time of their annual review have been hit with significant changes to the monthly payments, with little basis when compared to their actual usage measured across a year.

My own payments were £65/month. I knew I wasn't paying enough, and a fair reflection would be £75/month. To pay off the arrears over a year would add a max of £10/month. They wanted £120/month...

Even when presented with usage figures they refused to budge. I did actually construct a mathematical model of the consumption and payments (sorry, can't help it, I'm an engineer with an MBA) and concluded that their schedule could only make sense if the average credit balance on the account that they were trying to achieve across a year was approx £100. Now, logically that average balance should be zero - goes in debt across winter, in credit across summer. Undoubtedly they'd have been forced to drop the monthly payments at the next annual review, but that'd only be after they'd be earning interest on my money for a year.

Think of it this way - it's a nice little earner for them. If they manage to get their DD customers in average credit of, say, a month's payment, they'll be earning interest on 8.5% of their total revenues - the interest on that could realistically add 0.5% to their overall operating margin, which in utility industries is a significant amount...
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yes, but you're missing the point here. I've come across quite a few Scottish Power customers who at the time of their annual review have been hit with significant changes to the monthly payments, with little basis when compared to their actual usage measured across a year.

My own payments were £65/month. I knew I wasn't paying enough, and a fair reflection would be £75/month. To pay off the arrears over a year would add a max of £10/month. They wanted £120/month...

Even when presented with usage figures they refused to budge. I did actually construct a mathematical model of the consumption and payments (sorry, can't help it, I'm an engineer with an MBA) and concluded that their schedule could only make sense if the average credit balance on the account that they were trying to achieve across a year was approx £100. Now, logically that average balance should be zero - goes in debt across winter, in credit across summer. Undoubtedly they'd have been forced to drop the monthly payments at the next annual review, but that'd only be after they'd be earning interest on my money for a year.

Think of it this way - it's a nice little earner for them. If they manage to get their DD customers in average credit of, say, a month's payment, they'll be earning interest on 8.5% of their total revenues - the interest on that could realistically add 0.5% to their overall operating margin, which in utility industries is a significant amount...

With respect I haven’t missed the point.

I was making the general point that many consumers have a mind set that believes(or wants to believe) that their direct debit payments somehow correlate to their usage. Very often it does not!

I am in no way defending Scottish Power or any other utility company and am happy to join in the general condemnation of the quality of many of the staff in their call centres. Your case is a good example.

We frequently read posts on this forum saying Company A are ‘charging’ me £x per month and when I spoke to Company B they said I would only have to pay £y per month.

It is the job of the operators in Company B to persuade customers to join their firm and they will pitch monthly payments artificially low in order to gain custom. Of course next year, when a large debit balance has to be cleared, payments increase massively; which seems to come as a surprise to many customers!

Surely anyone can look at their bills and read their annual consumption in kWh. It really is not rocket science to then calculate their bill using the tariff – just simple arithmetic. Armed with that information they can discuss realistic monthly payments, if “they refuse to budge” you can vote with your feet as you did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure