PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Containers for batch cooking and freezing

Options

Comments

• buildersdaughter
    Options
    I do the same, use a mix of things I'm re-using to throw away as little as possible. I love the glass containers with sturdy plastic lids - I have some pyrex ones, but my favourite are Lock'n'Lock. They are expensive, but I've managed not to break any in the 2 years I've been using them, and the seals are still good.
    I managed to get similar ones cheaply when on holiday in Germany. Our family use them a lot as at various times we cook for each other, and the containers are always doing the rounds.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I uix fold plastic takeaway containers, when they are done or broken which invariably they do in the end, ours can be recycled. I've also got some lock and lock style boxes that I've acquired or been given over the years.

I also invested in some glass Ikea dishes with plastic lids. They can go in the microwave or remove th lid and replace with foil to use in the oven.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I use a variety of things:
    - soup goes into plastic "pour & store" bags, as does stewed fruit & elderflower cordial (these are washed & reused)
    - h/g fruit & veg go into large ziplock bags that can lie flat
    - leftovers go into plastic boxes for defrosting
    - stock & small gravy portions go into small pots
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I have a mix, it depends on whether I'm likely to microwave or oven cook the meal eventually. I find that many things taster better oven cooked. The foil containers are reused for paint or something else non food.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I use a mix of containers - foil ones when it's something that I'm unlikely to need to defrost quickly or can cook from frozen, and a mix of the Chinese takeaway-type tubs and plastic bags for other things. I'm trying to move away from the takeaway tubs just because I find that they seem to go a bit brittle when they're frozen and I don't like to use so much plastic. That's not a problem if you let them warm up a bit before trying to open them, but I've had a few lids shatter when I've tried to open them when they're still cold and a few tubs where corners have got cracked off in the freezer. I've ended up throwing some food away as I haven't been convinced that I've found all of the shards and my OH is the sort that would definitely find it! I'm moving more towards the Pyrex-type containers which still have a plastic lid, but are a bit more multi-purpose. The downsides are that they are much dearer, they're a bit of a pain to store and they are a bit less 'bounceable'.

I had problems with the lids breaking too as the lip is quite thin on them. I now re-use ice cream cartons (the carte d'or type with the rounded edges seem best as they have a nice deep lip) I've found that they store easily in 'nests' and, to be honest, use them more than my 'proper' storage boxes in the fridge and freezer. Of course, they also come free and can be used for lots of other items such as sewing bits and bobs.:)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I had problems with the lids breaking too as the lip is quite thin on them. I now re-use ice cream cartons (the carte d'or type with the rounded edges seem best as they have a nice deep lip) I've found that they store easily in 'nests' and, to be honest, use them more than my 'proper' storage boxes in the fridge and freezer. Of course, they also come free and can be used for lots of other items such as sewing bits and bobs.:)

If you let the container thaw slightly for a few mins first it's easier to get the lids off the takeaway containers and they're less likely to snap. I've dropped a few in the past and the flipping things shattered everywhere....that said, prob preferable to dropping the glass dishes :eek:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I have glass ones with plastic lids from Ikea that can go straight in the oven from the freezer (without the lid) https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/food-storage-organising/förtrolig-food-container-set-of-3-clear-glass-art-20328520/
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for the glass ones.

Have dumped all the plastic Tupperware from the house in favour of GlassLock. They are at the more premium end but have had no problem with them.

I also use an aluminium sandwich box if I need to take some lunch with me.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm another that uses the plastic take way containers. They're just the right size for two portions of Bolognese or chilli. I use bags for soup though and glass dishes for things like carrot and swede mash that will be reheated in the oven then go straight onto the table.

I label the plastic boxes with a piece of masking tape then write on it.
  • muvvahen
    muvvahen Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I just want to store a tiny portion of something in the freezer, I use little lidded plastic tubs that originally had ice-cream sundaes in them. They come in a four pack from A*di and we have two sets that have lasted probably two years or more (shows how often we treat ourselves to naughty puds).

What do I put in them?
    - HM garlic butter
    - leftover coconut milk from a large can
    - chopped herbs
    - chopped fresh ginger
    - chopped fresh chillis
    - also 'Choppards'... a strange concoction which I'm sure has a proper name, but we use it as a base for pasta sauce, curries, etc. We root through the bottom drawer of the fridge periodically to find slightly bendy carrots, celery, peppers, courgette... peel and roughly chop them along with an equal quantity of onions, then whizz them to a fine kind of 'crumble' in the small bowl of the food processor. Sometimes I add fresh chillies and/or ginger to the mix, just depends on what's lurking... One little tubful makes a great 'starter' especially for a curry. We label them with a (fake) Sharpi-e
    Too chicken to stay in the rat-race...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport