Options
2»

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    People on here often say "oh it's a DIY job".

Not everyone has DIY skills. Some people don't know one end of a hammer to another. So to say it's a DIY job is only apparent of you have a skill set.

So please stop saying its a DIY job, when some people don't do DIY at all.
    This is a money saving website, and the money saving solution is to do it yourself. Watch a youtube video if necessary. I don't think I've ever met anybody who doesn't have sufficient common sense to change a door handle. It requires no DIY unless you consider taking a screw out as DIY in which case changing batteries just got way more skillful
    Phil, do you really know people who do not know one end of a hammer from the other?
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    People on here often say "oh it's a DIY job". Not everyone has DIY skills. Some people don't know one end of a hammer to another. So to say it's a DIY job is only apparent of you have a skill set.
    Skills required for DIY will vary from task to task. But the simplest of tasks do not require much in skill. Nobody is born with DIY skills but they're developed. If you don't start, you won't progress. Replacing door handles is as easy as changing a lightbulb. Not everyone can do that.

Replacing the door lock mechanism (which is more likely the culprit) will be a bit more taxing but only marginally so.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    This is a money saving website, and the money saving solution is to do it yourself. Watch a youtube video if necessary. I don't think I've ever met anybody who doesn't have sufficient common sense to change a door handle. It requires no DIY unless you consider taking a screw out as DIY in which case changing batteries just got way more skillful
    Phil, do you really know people who do not know one end of a hammer from the other?

Yes. I run a maintenance company and have plenty of customers who don't and won't own any tools. One is a neuro-surgeon who cannot even bang a picture hook in.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    One is a neuro-surgeon who cannot even bang a picture hook in.

Is that "can't" or "won't"?
    To be honest, if I was a neurosurgeon, I don't think that I would be too interested in doing jobs that involved a hammer getting close to my fingers!
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ceredigion wrote: »
    £1.99 latch pack's might well have a baring on "come undone so easily"
    It might well have a bearing on something if they were normally that price. They're £4.99 without the handles. They seem decent quality. Smooth action, fairly strong spring, and not "tinny" like many are.
    But I've got no axe to grind about them, you pays yer money. . .

AS far as what is "easy" DIY wise. I'd say changing door handles is an easy job. Gets more complicated if you're changing the latch, and the striker plate.
    As said it's a money saving site here.
    Personally I don't want to pay for easy little jobs.
    I can understand a neurosurgeon not wanting to do DIY though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure