new use of telecom billing scam

Options
I have just been reading on this forum about the Telecom billing scam several years ago, well it seems there is a new company trying the same scam, I recently rang a chat line that was advertised in my local newspaper the line started with a 0208 number and I was only on the line for just over a minute I didn't speak to anyone and there was no message to say how much the call cost. After making the call I forgot about it, then a month later I got a phone call from some one who tricked me into giving my name and address details, another month later and I have received an invoice saying I owe £75 for this phone call even though on my BT bill the number is listed as a landline number with no charge, the number they have given on the invoice is not the number I rang it is a 0044208 number with the remainder being my phone number the invoice is from a company called RMS with a PO Box address in Czech Republic though the postage mark on the envelope was from Germany, it stated that if the amount is not paid within 8 days I will be in default with the corresponding default consequences, it says the statutory value added tax is include in the invoice amount and RMS asserts the claim by way of factoring. I have not paid them anything and am scared at what they might do next.

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your own London landline number start (020) 8xxx xxxx?

If so, your number can also be written as +44 20 8xxx xxxx or as 00 44 20 8xxx xxxx (spaces added for clarity).

So, the phone number mentioned is not the one you called, but the number being invoiced for the call - yours.

However, the whole thing does sound suspicious. I would chat to Action Fraud (an arm of the City of London Police) and make them aware of the full details.
  • robby73
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and advice, I will get in touch with them asap.
  • Hilly1966
    Options
    Hi I've had same letter from Czech republic Demanding £75 followed by another two since November there called hoeck format is the same as rms there as been a lot of reports in Holland about these letters contacted my phone company and no calls were made on the date in question so I don't know where they get their information from seems like a scam
  • Toontime
    Options
    Hilly1966 wrote: »
    Hi I've had same letter from Czech republic Demanding £75 followed by another two since November there called hoeck format is the same as rms there as been a lot of reports in Holland about these letters contacted my phone company and no calls were made on the date in question so I don't know where they get their information from seems like a scam

Hi what was the outcome of this, did you just ignore the letters, what happened next. Thanks
  • Toontime
    Options
    Hi what was the outcome of this, did ignore the letters or make contact with them. Did you pay or just ignore the letters, thanks
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2018 at 1:31PM
    Options
    Toontime wrote: »
    Hi what was the outcome of this, did you just ignore the letters, what happened next. Thanks

As Hilly1966 has only posted once and has never been back on these forums since that post in January I doubt you will get an answer.
  • Hilly1966
    Options
    Hi i sent the 3rd letter back basically telling them to get lost haven't heard no more from them since
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure